Chapter 55

Wei Ying settled nicely back into the Cloud Recess. He was keeping up with his eating regimen and steadily gaining back his previous weigh and then getting even fatter and fatter. He did not like to be so big and clumsy but Lan Zhan and Wen Qing praised him for that, saying it was good for the baby. So he contented himself with that and did not complain, at least not too much.

He spent most of his time in the Jingshi with the older boy, the Second Jade would still not leave his side. Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren endorsed this behaviour and did not call on the Gusu Lan sect disciple nor assigned him any duties for the time being. Lan Zhan was grateful for that although he suspected that his family had a hidden motive for it; most probably they wanted him to keep an eye on his husband so he would not regress again and behave rashly or cause trouble.

When Wei Ying felt up to it, they would go on short walks around the Cloud Recess: to the Library Pavilion, to the Cold spring or to the back mountains where their rabbits were kept. Or to the Omega building, they both had much to learn about child rearing.

During the time outside of their quarters, the older boy kept himself close to his soulmate at all times, making sure he would not trip and hurt himself. It had already happened once when they were going into the back mountains. The path there was uneven and Wei Ying was no doing too good that day but would not listen to his husband and stay put. The Second Jade was walking just two steps behind him so when the younger boy tripped, he caught him in time, however his tripping resulted in a lightly sprained ankle, three days of bed rest and a harsh scolding from Wen Qing.

She insisted on checking on the younger boy's condition every second day, sometimes they would go visit her in her quarters and when the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple felt too tired, she would come to the Jingshi to examine him. Lan Zhan was a bit worried by the frequent check-ups but the Dafan Wen doctor reassured him that it was just a precaution, Wei Ying's pregnancy had not exactly been uneventful until now and she only wanted to make sure the baby would be alright.

It was such a blissful period for the couple, the younger boy was enjoying being pampered in all ways imaginable and his husband enjoyed to pamper him. He took such a great care of him that ever since coming back to him in Yiling, the Yunmeng Jiang disciple did not have a single nightmare. He was able to spend much of his days sleeping peacefully, recovering and gaining strength for the next challenge.

They also thought long and hard about baby names but could not agree on just one yet, they still did not know whether the child would be a boy or a girl so they had prepared both. In the end, Wei Ying could not keep his excitement hidden and started a heated discussion during one of the frequent dinners with their friends and family. All the participants, including Lan Qiren and Nie Huisang had something to add and the younger boy ended up with even more choices to discuss later with his husband.

Those days were such a bliss for both Wei Ying and Lan Zhan, they never wanted them to come to an end, but at the same time, they were more and more impatient to finally meet their baby in person.

***

The days were literally flying by and then Wen Qing informed Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji that the baby should probably be born in just a few days. Even with her expertise, she was not able to tell them exactly when but she made sure she instructed the younger boy enough so he would recognize it and would be able to send for her.

She did not show it but she was actually really worried for the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple; it was his first pregnancy and he was still mostly clueless about even the most basic information that Omegas would normally learn just after their first heat.

When she saw him when he was brought back to Lotus Pier after disappearing for a month, she was horrified by his state. She knew she could not let anything show on her face in order not to agitate Wei Wuxian or his husband. The pregnant Omega was only skin and bones; it had shocked and worried her the first time she saw him like that during his studies in Cloud Recess but it terrified her now.

His belly was not big enough for the stage of pregnancy he was in, he looked sickly and too pale. And with all the stress he was apparently going through ever since he discovered he was having a baby, she was afraid for the child. It was almost a miracle when she could not find anything wrong, she was immensely relieved.

She was even happier when Wei Wuxian started to take better care of himself and adhering to her regimen. His health was improving faster then she expected and he was also gaining the weight he should normally have around this time. Nevertheless, she could not help herself and checked on her charge as frequently as she could without worrying the couple too much.

She went to examine on the Yunmeng Jiang head disciple again today, she knew the baby would be coming any day now. After warning the couple once more, she left the Jingshi with a strange feeling, a sort of premonition. However, for now, she could not tell whether it was a good one or a bad one, it was just a non-descript feeling in her chest.

When she came back to her quarters, she was extremely restless, pacing around and not being able to sit down and relax. She started straightening the place up. After a while, she realized she was preparing her utensils and medical supplies on the table. At first, she wanted to rearrange them back to their respective spots, she was usually a very orderly person, but something kept her from doing that.

She sat down and poured some tea for herself, trying to calm her senses and be able to go to sleep as it was already getting late, it was long after the Gusu Lan sect curfew. She drank her tea and was determined to start getting ready for bed, even though she was almost sure she would not be able to fall asleep anytime soon.

Suddenly, there was a hurried knocking on her door and then it flew open without her ever inviting the person inside. She wanted to reprimand them, but when she lifted her eyes, she saw that it was in fact a very distressed-looking Lan Wangji.