Chapter 44

Lan Xichen gave one last look to Wei Wuxian curled in Lan Wangji's embrace and smiled slightly, the sight warmed his heart. When he made sure that the two distressed disciples were as comfortable as possible, he quietly exited the room, he did not want to intrude on their reunion. He closed the door and turned around only to find Nie Huisang waiting for him.

He gave the young Qinghe Nie disciple a tired smile, he was exhausted from the recent events, more emotionally than physically really, but he still craved rest. He knew however that now was not yet time for it, he still needed to get his brother and his husband back to safety of Cloud Recess and help them recover from this horrible experience; the last month was hard for everybody, but mostly for the now reunited couple.

"Oh, Wuxian, what pushed you to act like this..." he sighed internally, "is there no end to your suffering? You already went through so much and your past is still hunting you... I wish I could do something more for you. I could not do much more than to take care of Wangji and wait for you to be found. I have never felt so helpless in all my life..."

He closed his eyes to recollect himself and sighed once more: "And there is so much to do now. I have to inform Uncle that Wuxian has been found, more or less healthy. I know he has been worried; he was asking for news every second day. Then I will have to get Wangji and Wuxian back to Cloud Recess to recover. I guess Wangji will not be willing to part with Wuxian for even a second now, I will have to reassign his duties, at the very least until the baby is born.

And we will have to make more preparation still, a child needs many things to be already prepared just after it sees the world for the first time. We will moreover need to do an official announcement; it will be the child of the second heir of the Gusu Lan sect after all. But I am not sure how Wuxian will react to that... It is clear he still does not want to publically reveal his true second gender. There is just so much to do..."

When he thought about all that needed to be done and prepared, his head was spinning slightly. He did not consider it beforehand because of the stress and efforts of finding the pregnant Omega, now however, there was only a little time left. He was tired and he did not know where to start, for a moment, he felt completely overwhelmed.

There was a slight touch on his arm and when he opened his eyes, he saw that Nie Huisang was looking at him with worry in his eyes. Before he could even try to reassure him that everything was alright, the younger disciple was already talking: "Sect Leader Lan, I have taken the liberty of reserving another room for you to rest in. Let me show you to it, there is tea already prepared. Please forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds, but you look like you could use it."

Lan Xichen was surprised by the Qinghe Nie disciple's behaviour. Although he never doubted him and the younger boy has already proven himself more than once, he still tended to forget that he was the mastermind behind everything. Nie Huisang's appearance and general conduct made him look like a weak Omega, but the opposite was the truth in reality, he had already learned that. The younger boy was nothing like that, there was an intelligent and sharp mind hidden behind the meek exterior. It never ceased to amaze him.

He nodded and let himself be led to a nearby room where a pot of hot tea was waiting on a low table in the middle of two beds. The room was not unlike the one they were in just moments ago but it seemed somehow more welcoming when Nie Huisang sat down and gestured for the First Jade to follow him.

Lan Xichen joined him at the table and accepted the cup of tea the other poured for him: "Thank you, Young Master Nie. I could really use a quiet moment, the last days were hard for everyone, you must be tired as well."

Nie Huisang shook his head and replied with an almost apologetic smile: "I did not do much, all the credit goes to the ones doing the hard work and looking around in the wilderness."

Lan Xichen felt a prick of pain when hearing the Qinghe Nie disciple under-value himself. There was a strong urge to correct him to give himself more credit, after all, it was him who single-handedly pointed out the location where Wei Wuxian would be hiding and coordinated the search efforts. "Young Master Nie, you should not talk like that. You need to give yourself more credit. We would still be searching blindly be it not for your suggestion and directions. You are the main reason Wuxian is now back with us safe and sound."

The younger disciple opened a fan he got out of nowhere and was now hiding his blushing face behind it: "You flatter me too much, Sect Leader Lan. I really did not do much. This Omega would never dream of letting himself be overestimated."

Then he winked and the First Jade suddenly understood that it was all just a façade. Nie Huisang knew perfectly well how to value what he was doing and did not want it to be public knowledge. Otherwise, he would not be able to entertain his unsuspicious demeanour and command his network of spies in the shadows at the same time.

Lan Xichen smiled knowingly, nodding at the other in acknowledgment: "Of course, Young Master Nie. Still, thank you for helping finding my brother-in-law to the best of your abilities."

"It was my pleasure, Sect Leader Lan. I only regret we did not discover his hideout sooner, it would have been easier for everyone, especially for him..." Nie Huisang looked down, hiding now his entire face behind the fan. Lan Xichen reached out and gently squeezed the younger disciple's hand. They remained like that for a long while.

Once the Qinghe Nie disciple managed to collect himself, he lowered his fan and his eyes met the First Jade's once more, there was a spark in them once again: "Right. There is much to do now, is there not? If Sect Leader Lan would allow me a small suggestion?"

Lan Xichen could not keep his lips from twitching: "Of course, please speak your mind." They were playing their roles well; they could not know who could be listening in on them so they retained their roles.

"Brother Wei is too weak to be able to bear the long journey back to Cloud Recess right now, he needs to rest up first. I would suggest we go back to Lotus Pier first. It is closer and the journey would not be as taxing for him; he and Young Master Lan could travel by cart to rest up and preserver their forces. Also, Brother Wei would not forgive us if he was to miss the childbirth of his niece or nephew.

Once in Lotus Pier, he should get a proper examination and time to recuperate. As much as I want to see him and Young Master Lan comfortable back in the Jingshi as soon as possible, we cannot risk aggravating Brother Wei's condition. Wen Qing should probably come too, he will need someone to look after him and I believe he still does not trust your sect's doctors; I do not have the heart to separate Wen Ning from his husband so it can be only her."

"That is a great suggestion, I will write to Uncle immediately to let him know. It will give us also more time to prepare everything while Wuxian will be resting. I will start with the arrangements right away." Lan Xichen agreed. Then he looked intently at the other and continued with a careful proposition: "Perhaps Young Master Nie would like to come to Cloud Recess with us too? Last time you mentioned you had not enough time to admire its beauty, I am sure we can indulge you more this time around."

The First Jade was not entirely sure why he suggested that. He greatly appreciated the younger disciple's presence and his quick mind, he liked talking with him. For some reason, the thought of separating right now was painful for him, he wanted to remain close to him. After the last month of constant correspondence and several meetings, he was not ready to let go just yet.

"Thank you for your kind invitation, I am happy to accept." Nie Huisang's eyes were sparkling with emotions and Lan Xichen was already anticipating the time they would spend together talking about politics and other topics that would pick their interest.