Chapter 52

After the official announcement, Lan Zhan worriedly proposed that it was time to go back to Cloud Recess, he wanted Wei Ying to be safe in the Jingshi for the child's birth and travelling just before the determined term would be dangerous. The younger boy however would not hear any of it, even when Wen Ning advised that it would be the best course of action as he was finally strong enough to support the journey.

Wei Ying insisted to stay in Lotus Pier until Jiang Yanli's and Jin Zixuan's child was born. He was feeling somewhat guilty that it was because of his sister's worries for him that she had stayed in her former home and could not safely travel back to Koi Tower now. He wanted to make sure to be at her side when that day would come.

A week and a half into their stay, in the early morning, the Second Jade was getting their breakfast from a servant who brought it over; the older boy still feared letting his husband alone even for a period of a short trip to the kitchens and back. He knew his fear was irrational at this point, Wei Ying promised him not to leave again and the Gusu Lan sect disciple believed him.

He could however not help himself, the experience was still too fresh in his memory. And there was not only one life for him to protect, but two. He also promised to protect the younger boy and stay by him at all times, he did not want to break his promise even in the most innocent of ways.

Behind the servant girl stood the First Jade, his eyes were shining and his smile blinding, as she relayed good news without any introduction: "Wangji, Miss Jiang gave birth during the night, it is a boy, I was told. She requested that you and Wuxian go see her as soon as your husband wakes up."

Lan Xichen was right to have assumed that Wei Ying would still be sleeping at this hour; he was sleeping a big part of the day nowadays. His stay in the Burial Mounds was not gentle on him in any way, he was still weak and his body only now succumbing to his previous exhaustion and starvation. Due to a lot of sleep combined with a healthy diet, he was gaining strength surprisingly quickly.

Lan Zhan nodded and looked back inside the room, his eyes on his sleeping soulmate. "I will wake Wei Ying," he decided without after a second. He was tempted to let his husband sleep as long as he wanted to but he also knew that the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple would want to see his sister and her child as soon as possible.

Lan Xichen nodded in understanding and only specified before turning around: "She is waiting in the infirmary."

The older boy closed the door again and went to wake up Wei Ying. As soon as he explained the situation, the younger boy was already tripping over his feet in his hurry to go visit the new mother and her baby, his nephew. He was walking at a fast pace, almost running, the most he could manage at the moment when his belly was adding to his weight and disturbing his balance and usual movements.

The Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple stopped abruptly in front of the infirmary door, all colour being drained from his face. Lan Zhan was not sure what exactly was wrong, truth to be told, he expected his soulmate to slam the door open and rush inside. He slowly approached and took hold of one of the younger boy's hands, it was trembling slightly.

"Wei Ying..." he did not know how to calm his husband. He finally understood, his soulmate's turmoil leaking through their mental bond. The younger boy was still afraid of facing any baby, not to mention his own. The Second Jade felt extremely helpless. Even if he knew why the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple was bothered, he was not sure he could actually help him this time.

A quiet voice came from behind the door, Jiang Yanli apparently guessed who were her visitors and she was getting impatient of waiting: "A-Xian, is that you? Why are you just standing outside? Come in! I want you to meet your nephew." Wei Ying took a deep breath, holding Lan Zhan's hand like a lifeline and he opened the door.

There were a lot of people already inside. Wen Ning and Jiang Cheng were standing beside one of the beds, the one where Jiang Yanli was laying with a white bundle of blankets in her arms. There was also Wen Qing who was observing the new mother carefully, keeping an eyes on her condition and ready to help if needed.

Wei Ying stood between the door, frozen on the spot until his sister waved at him and invited him closer. The Yunmeng Jiang disciple's steps were unsure as he approached the bed. His curiosity getting the better of him, he was straining his neck to see inside the blankets in her hands. Jiang Yanli saw his efforts and smiled even more than before, gently tugging the fabric away a bit and revealing the angelic face of a baby.

The younger boy's breath was stuck in his chest and he almost involuntarily made two more steps, he was now standing right beside the bed, looking in awe at the new-born. It was the first time ever he had seen a baby from this close up; there was no resemblance whatsoever to the child he had lost when he was young. This one was a lot bigger and plumber, sleeping peacefully in his sister's arms.

Jiang Yanli gently caressed the baby's head and looked back at her still frozen brother. "His name is Jin Ling. A-Xian, do you want to say 'hi' to your nephew?" his sister proposed and looked at Wen Qing who quickly came and took the child. Turning to the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple, she stretched her arms with the baby meaningfully, she wanted to pass Jin Ling to his uncle.

Wei Ying stood completely still, not knowing what to do or where to look, he was completely overwhelmed: "She want me to hold him? I have never in my life held a baby, what if I drop him? What if I hold him in a wrong way and end up hurting him? He is so small and fragile... Shijie would be devastated if anything happened to her child, it is too much of a responsibly for me. I should be content with just looking..."

"What are you standing there frozen for?" Jiang Cheng interrupted the silence, his voice was softer and quieter than ever. It was clear he did not want to startle the baby awake. "I have already held him; you do not know what you are missing out on. It is precious."

Usually, Wei Ying would have teased back, but he had no comeback today, still wondering if he should not endanger the infant after all. Wen Qing was still standing in front of him and he was torn between stepping back and avoiding her and reaching out to touch the baby.

Jiang Yanli seemed to have understood his hesitation: "A-Xian, it will be alright. Jiang Cheng is more maladroit than you and he was able to do it. Wen Qing will show you how to hold him properly. You should also get used to it, you are having your own child in a few weeks, it will not do for you to be afraid to touch it."

Hearing his sister's sound arguments, Wei Ying decided to believe in her trust in him. He steeled himself, gathering all his determination and took a step closer to Wen Qing, his arms outstretched to welcome the baby, his supporting husband only a step behind him.