Chapter 13

On the last day of their stay, Lan Zhan was packing their belongings while he sent Wei Wuxian to the hot springs for one last time, he wanted his soulmate to be at full force for their journey back. The younger boy was more than happy to comply, although only after the older boy promised to join him once the packing would be finished and their departure arranged.

Wei Wuxian happily skipped up the path to one of the ponds he and his husband grew fond of during their stay. He disrobed and submerged himself in the perfectly warm water. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the sensation of spiritual energy cursing through his meridians when he was startled by a rustling noise.

He reached for his weapon he was keeping at arm's length; a cultivator never knew where danger could be lurking. He relaxed immediately when he saw a twitchy nose poke out from the bushes, it was a very small grey rabbit that hopped towards him without any fear. He slowly extended his hand and was delighted when the furry creature let himself be petted.

He was caressing its long ears while whispering fondly: "You know, little rabbit, me and Lan Zhan have a lot of your friends back in Cloud Recess. Do you have any family here? We could take you back with us if you are lonely, I am sure you would become friends really quickly." Some more rustling noises and there were three other rabbits peeking out from the greenery. "I see you do have friends here, such a sweet boy like you could not be here all by himself. Play well together, little ones." He observed with a fond smile how the rabbits disappeared back into the forest.

He sighed, he was already looking forward to going back home. Suddenly, he got really homesick and wanted to see his husband. He quickly got out of the water and started putting his robes back on, starting with his pants. There was a new rustling sound, but he ignored it, surely it was only the rabbits playing around the pond.

When he looked up in search of another part of his clothes that he had scattered around before getting inside the water, he stopped abruptly at the sight of a small girl whose head was poking out of the bushes. The girl got up and bowed to him politely, stunned, he reciprocated her gesture.

She was looking at him intensely before she smiled and started babbling: "Hello Mister, do you know where my Mama is? I was looking for her but I cannot find her..." Wei Wuxian saw that she was on a verge of tears so he forgot his half-nudity and kneeled to be at her level to be able to better calm her down.

"Little Miss, where did you saw your Mama last time? Do not worry, I am sure she is nearby looking for you, I will help you to find her." He smiled at her reassuringly and the small girl looked happy instantaneously.

"Thank you, Mister. Mama said earlier to wait for her, she and Papa went to have a chat in the forest. But I got bored, then I saw a rabbit and followed it here. Now I do not know anymore where I was supposed to wait for them. I..." Before the girl could continue, they heard steps approaching them and there was a woman coming into the circle of bushes, frantically looking around and calling for her daughter.

The girl perked up and run to her mother, who immediately picked her up and was closely watching Wei Wuxian who was just standing up. Only now did the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple realized he still had nearly no clothes on and he blushed, looking with new determination for his missing inner robe. The mother however did not look too angry; she was apparently happy to have found her daughter unharmed as she was gently scolding her for not waiting patiently for her return.

The girl did not seem too dejected when she started explaining how she got here, she finished her story while pointing her finger at Wei Wuxian: "And then, this Mister found me and told me he would help me to look for you. I knew he was nice, he is also having a little sister or brother in his belly, just like you, Mama."

The Yunmeng Jiang disciple froze on the spot with his finally found inner robe in his hands. "What did the young girl said? It could not be true, she is wrong. How can such a small child tell if he was or was not pregnant..." Wei Wuxian's worries came back with renewed strength and they threatened to carry him under; he was unable to speak.

He was gasping for breath; he scrunched down and tried to calm his racing heart. The woman startled and quickly joined him on the ground, gently putting her hands on his shoulders and making him sit down. She took his inner robe from his stiff fingers and put it gently around him. She then observed him more closely, the Yunmeng Jiang disciple did not know what she saw, but she looked alarmed.

"Young Master, please breath, try to calm down. You are really pale, should I go fetch a doctor? You are an Omega, are you not? Do you feel sick? Did you perhaps overexert yourself? You know it is not good for the baby. You should take better care of yourself. Or is this your first pregnancy? Where is your partner? He should really be taking better care of you..."

Wei Wuxian was trying to wrap his head around what the woman was saying. She could not have been making fun of him, she seemed too worried for that. When he looked at her more attentively, he saw that her robes could not hide her swelled belly. So it must be true, as a mother and a pregnant woman, she must know what she was talking about.

His worries came intensified and he was on a verge of panic, his thoughts swirling inside his head to no end: "So it is true, I am pregnant again... Sorry Lan Zhan, I did not want for it to happen. I cannot let you find out. You said it yourself that you do not need me to have babies... I cannot let you find out; you would have to do what Madame Yu did. Omega like me cannot be allowed to have an unwanted child... But I know it would ruin you... I could not bear that; how could I ever look you in the eyes ever again after that? It really is time for me to go away and take care of it by myself.

I am so scared, Lan Zhan, I do not want to lose our child... But it has to be done. I have promised to make you happy for the rest of my live. I cannot force this onto you, I know it would hurt you... I need to take care of it before I will no longer be able to and will lose my determination..."

He was torn out from his thoughts by the woman shaking his shoulders again. When she saw that he was back with her, she gave out a big sigh: "Young Master, stay here, I am going to fetch a doctor to have a look at you. You really seem unwell." She started getting up. Wei Wuxian reached out to stop her, he could not allow anyone to see his condition.

He was saved by the arrival of Lan Zhan who was finally coming to join him. The older boy's eyes widened when he saw his soulmate on the ground.