Chapter 47

In the end Lan Zhan and Wei Ying spent several hours relaxing and enjoying each other's company. Lan Xichen only came back at noon, tentatively knocking and asking if they were ready to have lunch. They invited him inside, still a bit flushed at the memory of the behaviour he had witnessed earlier that day. From the fond expression on the First Jade's face, they could however clearly see that he was not bothered at all, instead being glad for them and wishing them happiness.

For the first time in two days, Wei Ying felt strong enough to get up and eat at the table, sitting side by side with Lan Zhan, their knees touching, each having their own dish this time. They did not want to get overly intimate out of respect for the First Jade who was observing them with fond expression from across the table as he had lunch with them.

After the meal, Lan Xichen finally spoke: "Young Master Wei, I see you are looking a lot better. Your term is also approaching according to Young Master Wen. For your and your child's safety, we should get back to Cloud Recess as soon as possible, Uncle is already taking care of all the preparations. Since it is not advised to ride your sword in your condition, we have already arranged for other sorts of transportation.

If you agree, we should first go back to Lotus Pier. It is closer and it will be easier for you to travel only a short distance before resting up some more and travelling further. Miss Jiang was also worried for you; you should let her know you are alright. She should give birth any day now, I am sure you would not want to miss meeting your nephew or niece right away."

Lan Xichen smiled gently as realization was beginning to grow in Wei Ying: "Oh, I have completely forgot until now that Shijie was also having a baby. I am sure it will be as beautiful and gentle as her and would be able to grow to be as strong as its father."

The Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple's joy and anticipation was now almost too much to bear for him, he had to share it with someone, and that someone was of course his husband: "Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, did you hear that? I will be uncle in just a few days!"

"Mn," agreed the Second Jade and then added only for his soulmate: "I know Wei Ying will be a great uncle. And a great parent."

"Lan Zhan, do not tease!" laughed the younger boy, delighted. He missed dearly talking with, well, anyone really during his time in the Burial Mounds. The only human voice that kept him company was the older boy calling his name in his dreams.

"Not teasing," the Gusu Lan sect disciple said solemnly. The declaration silenced the Yunmeng Jiang disciple immediately. He was only able to send his feelings of fondness and appreciation towards the other. Forgetting the presence of the Gusu Lan sect leader for a second, he leaned forwards and gave his husband a more or less chaste kiss on a cheek. The older boy pulled him into his lap before he could get back to his seat and showed him what a proper kiss should feel like.

Then Wei Ying remembered that there was another person in the room with them and straightened himself, although he did not leave his soulmate's arms. The First Jade was still waiting for his answer: "Brother Xichen, thank you for the good news. I am so happy I did not miss this. Let us go back to Lotus Pier as soon as possible. Can we go today?"

"That settles it," Lan Xichen politely ignored the display of intimacy before him, "I will arrange for a cart for tomorrow morning. If we left today, we would not be able to make it all the way to Lotus Pier before dark. Please get a good night's sleep." He stood up and left the room with the tray of used dishes.

***

Wei Ying was excited ever since waking up, he could not wait any longer to go see his sister. Despite Wen Ning's concerned warnings, he ate breakfast in record time, fortunately Lan Zhan woke up long before him as he would not be able of such a rush.

Only half an hour after he opened his eyes, the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple and his husband were already sitting in a closed-off cart, heading to Lotus Pier together with Lan Xichen, Wen Ning and Jiang Cheng. The latter complaining non-stop about how much faster flying would have been only to be reprimanded by the Dafan Wen disciple that they could not take off without abandoning their duty of protecting the pregnant Omega.

Wei Ying could hear his brother's rumbling all the way inside the cart but for once, it did not bother him that he was the cause of their slow travel. He wanted to make sure his baby was safe so he obeyed Wen Ning's advices to the letter. Being careful and not overexerting himself was only one of many. And of course he would not complain when he could spend the whole trip sitting in the nest of cushions and soft blankets and curled in Lan Zhan's arms, feeling so warm and comfortable he wanted to cry.

They were not hurrying in order for the ride to be comfortable for the passengers. As hours went by, the younger boy was becoming more and more agitated and was lifting the shadow screens surrounding them more and more often, checking where exactly they were.

He was talking enthusiastically the whole time, wondering whether he would become uncle to a boy or a girl, going through every possible argument and advantages of both. Lan Zhan was humouring him, adding some points of his own and fondly observing his husband turning them in all direction as he debated the gender of his sister's child.

After a while, the discussion turned to their own child, going through the arguments once again. But of course, they have reached no decision about the preferred gender. They both knew it was pointless and it did not matter in the end as they would love the baby anyway; it only helped to pass time and to have something to talk about.

Wei Ying lifted the screen again impatiently, he was already looking forward to talking with Jiang Yanli and assuring her he was alright. There was still a fleeting feeling of guilt that he caused her to worry in the first place, however it was fortunately quickly overshadowed by his excitement when he saw Lotus Pier in the distance.