Nine

Naomi Black

Today marks twelve years.

Twelve years since I walked in on my dead mother.

Twelve years with no immediate family other than my grandparents.

I was always so envious of everyone because they had their parents along the way. I didn't though. I would never tell Finn and Caden but their family made me so jealous. Why couldn't my parents do something for me? It was Ben's choice to cheat on Karla and to have me. It was my mother's choice to keep me. So why couldn't they do what they had to do?

I wouldn't have to relive the memories if they would've just stepped up.

And that's the saddest part.

I felt the loneliest when I was with my friends and their parents. I could only imagine what their life was like growing up. Finn and Caden had annual family photoshoots- they would complain about it. But little did they know, it was killing me to not have what they were complaining about.

The idea of having a family- a mom and dad.

I craved it more than I craved a better life. I would have rather settled with less than continued another day knowing that I never had family photoshoots. I never had both sets of parents to tuck me into bed at night.

All of my friends' parents were my parents. I would go over to their house's sleepover, and then I would wake up with the dreadful future of going home to one parent, not both.

However, my grandparents were my safety blanket.

When my phone rang this morning, it wasn't unexpected to me. They always called to check up on me. Despite her not being their blood daughter, they knew that she was more of a father to me than their blood son ever was.

"Hey, kid. How are you doing?" Grandpa spoke. I felt the tears build but of course, I wouldn't let them shred. Why would I? It's been twelve years. It was her selfish choice.

A selfish choice that left me stranded.

Feeling lonelier than any kid should have ever felt. Somehow her ruining her own life, killing herself- was a lot more deadlier to me than it ever was to her. And she was six feet under.

I swallowed before responding, "I've been doing good. School is going good and the girls are doing great. How are you guys?" I knew he wasn't going to let it go.

"Did he call yet?" He spoke.

"No. He didn't. Are we surprised though Grandpa?" I said unfazed.

He never called.

"I'm sorry Naomi. So sorry." He spoke and I didn't respond. How do I respond to my father not even calling or sending a text to check on me on my mothers' death anniversary?