seventy-one

Matti Williams

Matti Williams

It was a big day.

It was a big announcement.

I was shitting my pants.

Everything I had worked for was paying off. This red carpet in front of me–the flashing lights as I smiled for pictures. Football fans with different jerseys from everywhere screaming in hopes that I would go to their team.

Immediately following the announcement I had to run back to my hotel and take a picture with the merchandise I had been gifted from the two possible teams.

I was tense.

I wanted this so badly, more than anything. Tonight- more than I wanted her. Whether I went first, second, or last–this was my dream. I wanted to accomplish this. I wanted to make a bigger and better name for myself.

I owed it to every coach that had taught me these lessons.

Even my dad made me train extra hard. It was cruel- but look at where I'm at.

"Matti! Matti! ESPN2! Can we ask you a couple of questions!?" A woman shouted with a camera and microphone. I smiled, walking towards her. I gripped the microphone from her hands–smiling at her.

"Mattison Williams is here with us. One of the top contenders in this year's draft–if not the top contender. These teams–they're worried! You're a serious threat on the field! How are you dealing with this pressure? You're under 25 and you're one of the most talked–about people in sports!" She exclaimed as I nodded, chuckling.

"I don't think of myself as one of the top contenders. I know I'm going head to head with my boy Griffin Johnson. He's the most amazing teammate and whoever selects him is lucky. I'm a serious threat on the field because I've worked my ass off to be here, and I'm glad my hard work is showing. As for the pressure–I don't know how I'm doing it." I chuckled at the end of my words as she smiled at me.

This whole interview shit was hard.

"Johnson and you go way back–I haven't seen him tonight, but tell us about what you could tell him or his possible new teammates!" She tried to urge me to speak more as I cleared my throat.