bonus chapter

Naomi WilliamsTwo Years Since Epilogue

Naomi Williams
Two Years Since Epilogue.

My phone rang again for the millionth time in a row.

Huffing, I picked it up. "Matti—what?" I asked him as I heard the screaming in the back. "Babe, Stella can only help me so much. I'm losing my mind. If I finally get one to settle down, the other one takes off running." I chuckled.

The beauty of having twins.

"I'll be there in like an hour. I need to make a quick stop first." I heard him sigh. "Love you," I smiled. "Love you more," The line hung up.

Setting my phone in my back pocket, I gripped the crinkled paper in my hands. Slowly getting out of my SUV, I walked towards her. It still took m breath away no matter how many times I came.

Sitting down, I opened the paper and started to spew my words.

"Hi mom," I started.

I felt the tears coming on.

"I miss you so much and I can't believe it's been 16 years since you've passed away." I take in a deep breath. "I'm sorry it's been so long. I've been trying to settle down with my family. Stella is now ten, she's amazing. She's just like Matti in so many ways. She's scary athletic. She stopped taking dance and now she's into swimming lessons." I chuckled.

"And then there are the twins who just turned two. Slater Williams was born a big boy, the only boy. He's so cute mom—dark hair, blue eyes." I wished that I could show her a picture.

"And there is Sage Williams. She was a shock. I was almost done delivering when they said 'holy shit, there is another baby inside of you'. We had no idea—and mom she was so tiny. We had so many complications, we didn't think she was going to make it. She's still so tiny to this day. Dark brown hair, dark eyes. She's the only one with dark eyes. She had a feeding tube in her until last March. I just—god, it's been a rough life without you mom." I wipe my tears with my sleeve.

"It's been so rough and it sucks because I just wish I had a mother to tell me what to do at that moment. Matti and I didn't even think she would make it—" I set the note to the side.

"Dad's been gone for five years mom. Can you believe that he overdosed too?" I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. "I miss you so much and I hope that you, grandma, and grandpa are watching over me. Hopefully, instead of shooting heroin, you're shooting stars for me." I snort at my joke.

"I love you, mom. I appreciate everything you did for me. All of the sacrifices, everything. I wouldn't be the person I am today without you mom, thank you." I crinkled the paper back up, standing up.

I brushed my hands off and walked back to my car to start the semi-long journey back home.

I had lost family throughout the years but I had made up for it. Three kids, a husband, six cars, two cats, one dog, a beach house, a regular house, and then a condo in the city. Matti and I had come so far we didn't even have a chance to just breathe and think about how lucky we were that we made it.