seventy-eight

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

Two Hundred and Six Days.

Six Months and Twenty Three Days.

Four thousand nine hundred forty-four hours.

Two hundred ninety-six thousand six hundred forty minutes.

Seventeen million seven hundred ninety-eight thousand and four hundred seconds.

It took six months to begin my happy ending with Matti.

However, it took nineteen years, six thousand nine hundred and thirty-five days of suffering to find happiness.

I don't know much about where life will take me from here on out, but what I do know is that being a mother is what I was made to do. I was made to give someone a happy ending from the beginning.

Something I never had, but I always wanted.

I gripped the paper in my fingers, tracing over the words my mind had to repeat for the last hour. Waking up in the early morning was something that I would have to get used to now. Funnily enough, I know went to bed earlier so I barely saw the moon—but I always woke up to see the moon saying goodbye.

It was almost as if mom was saying that I had made it.

I had approached destiny, and she was just now going to watch from afar.

Dear Naomi,

We hadn't had many heads up about you. We were so young, so naïve—we didn't lay the consequences out on the table. You should be reading this on your wedding day or while you're waiting to become a mother. Whichever one comes first it doesn't matter. I have no room to judge.

I would always wonder what my life would be like if my addiction wouldn't be eating me alive.

Would I be able to get an actual job to support us? Would I be able to give you a Christmas with a real Christmas tree? Would I have to stop relying on the moon to provide you with a night light?

I sit here just merely twenty years old. You just turned one and I can't express how sorry I am. I'm sorry for truly not giving you everything you deserved. I believe that I should've put you up for an adoptive family, but my selfish heart told me no.