twenty-two

Matti Williams

I left my parents tonight to be with her.

I was confused whenever all of us were down in the lobby and the only person that didn't step out of the elevator was her. I didn't want to even be near my dad anyway. I was nothing but a big business deal to him. I was always going to be living his dream, not mine.

"Matti. I'm telling you kid, Detroit over Pittsburgh. You would even be closer to us!" He pleaded with me. Well, dad, I want to be close to my actual family. The one that is in Pennsylvania.

"Dad. I like Pittsburgh better. It's my choice and my final decision. I get the brand deals wherever I go." I shut him up as my mom stepped in between us, "Babydoll how about we just go settle this at a restaurant? Capital Grille?" I shook my head.

"I'm tired and my head hurts. I need to go rest before my brain damage hits. I love you both, thanks for coming." I hugged both of them before they could deny me from leaving that awkward ass conversation.

I'll take the girl upstairs out for food before I go out to dinner with them. All they wanted to do was football talk. I love football, I was born to play, but sometimes it's nice to do something other than football. Or to be talked to about it.

So that's why I ended up here with her. Right now.

In a cemetery.

I would've never guessed I would be here, I don't even go close to the bad areas in Detroit. This place is very sketchy.

But now I see that this is where she lived for most of her life.

It's sad.

"Mom, this is Matti." She speaks to the stone that's in the ground. What am I supposed to say? I don't know how this stuff usually goes. I mean I don't even think she knows how it was supposed to go either. When she told me I was the only person she had brought here my heart fluttered.

I cleared my throat.

"Hi Crystal. Your daughter is a very hot and bright girl. You would be proud." I spoke to her mother. Naomi gasped and laughed in disbelief. She leaned her tiny body back on me as she hugged her knees to her chest, resting her chin on her forearms.

My tiny heart hurt for her.

"Mom. I'm almost to my clinicals, I'm almost a nurse. I'm almost able to help babies and people like you before it is too late. I'm so close. Matti is the quarterback at Penn State. He's going to the NFL this year." She paused before continuing, "Don't worry he's different though. I promise. Grandma and Pop are doing great. I miss you so much, Mom. I'm sorry I didn't come to visit you sooner. Things came up. I hope I'm making you proud mom." She kissed her fingers and then touched the tiny stone.