forty-three

Matti Williams

Matti Williams

The heat from the flashes and the loud voices were making it hard to focus on the fact that I needed to get out of this conference as soon as possible and figure out what the hell was happening with her.

I felt Reese observing the back of the room too but it was unnoticed by the press in the room considering all eyes were on me at the moment.

But my eyes weren't on them—they were on the tiny brunette of mine that got carried out by my best friend.

"You need to go—I'll answer the questions." Reese whispered in my ear. Thankfully he was quiet enough that the words weren't picked up on the microphone. But the words were picked up by coach as he turned to me.

He hadn't seen what was going on but he made sure to give me the 'you're not throwing this away' look. But, I wasn't throwing it away my future—my future was sobbing her eyes out getting carried out the door.

As a reporter asked Reese a question, coach whispered in my ear, "I saw. But you need to stay here—you need to be selfish. Stay now and then go, she would agree." I paused.

I could feel my heart palpitating. I couldn't abandon her like this—but I knew he was right, she would hate herself if I left this conference because of her.

She hates attention and she hates the feeling of ruining a future.

I cleared my throat and grabbed the water bottle that laid next to the microphone. I opened it and drank the water. Hoping and praying that it would pass the time. I had spoken my truth, I had apologized, I had done my part.