sixteen

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

It was six in the morning and my day was already ruined.

First, it was a Monday.

Second, I received a lovely phone call at 6:05 on the dot. I was deep in my dead sleep so I woke up and randomly pushed the accept button not noticing the consequences I was about to face.

"Hello?" My groggy voice spoke.

A throat clearing on the other end of the line made my eyes open up, "Is this Naomi?" A deep voice replied.

I looked at the number and it was a private number?

"Depends, who is asking?" I asked while I was way past the point of being awake on this point. I was on high alert.

"This is um, Ben Black, her dad. Listen if you see her let her know I'm trying to get into contact with her. I'm at a drug rehab facility, that's why the number is private. And I would love to talk with her." His voice brought back heart impaling memories.

Why was he trying to contact me at six in the morning? Was he going to apologize for not calling on Mom's death anniversary? Was he calling to make sure I knew that he was alive and well?

"This is Naomi," I stated while staring straight at the wall in a trance.

He took a deep breath, "Hey sweetie..." It was fucking laughable. 'Hey Sweetie'? Who the hell says that to their daughter after abandoning them? That's laughable.

"Yeah?" I responded. What the hell am I supposed to say when I'm completely emotionless? I've taught myself to control myself and my feelings when it comes to my parents besides my mother's death of course, but when it comes to my dad I'm numb.

As a seven-year-old girl that just wanted her daddy after she walked into her mom's death, he had the perfect opportunity to be the father of the year. But he would've rather been shooting up drugs and getting drunk trying to mask the pain of creating a mistake with a one night stand losing Karla.

"How is life? Grandma and Grandpa said you're at Penn State! That is awesome. You'll have the time of your life." I chuckled. "Yeah, Penn State," I responded, being short.

"Do you go to the football games? Or are you in any sororities or clubs?" He asked.

"I go to the football games and I'm not in any sorority or clubs," I responded, sounding as bland and as boring as possible hoping he would get the hint that I don't want to talk to him. He is about five days and five years too late.

"That team they have this year is super nice. The quarterback they have reminds me a lot of myself. The stance and everything." My eyes narrowed, "He's nothing like you." Matti Williams, although I can't stand the boy half of the time he was nothing like Ben Black.

Well, kind of he does have some mental resemblance to my father. The idea that only the world revolved around him. The idea that everyone beside him was wrong in situations. But the fact that he apologised to me the other day was a shock in itself.