forty-nine

Matti Williams

Matti Williams

"Mattison! We're having a cookout later and Justin is having a sleepover, you're more than welcome to come!" Justin's mom called out to me as she was walking off the field with Justin's hand in hers, while his other hand carried his helmet.

"Thanks! I'll ask my mom!" I yelled back to her as she smiled and nodded to me.

Maybe since I won today, dad will let me go have a night off.

I walked back over to the bench where the trainers were adjusting the other twelve year old players' injuries. I sighed, my wrist was aching but I definitely wasn't going to go get it wrapped—I knew that would send my dad over the edge.

"Matti, yo!" Blake called out hobbling towards me with his crutches. He had broken his foot last game—don't worry though, I totally beat the other guy up for my best friend while he was getting carried off the field. Well, more like limping—that boy didn't take help from anybody.

"Good game buddy." He spoke as he smiled at me. I nodded at him, "Thanks. How do you think my throws were?" I asked as he bit his lip. "Good enough to go pro, but definitely not good enough for your dad." He said with a grimace.

I sighed, this was going to be a long night again.

"I take it you won't be going to Justin's?" He asks as I sadly nod. "Yeah. I probably won't be leaving here for a while." I spoke with a grimace. He groaned, "Dude. You weren't allowed to come to my birthday either." He spoke as I nodded.