twelve

Matti Williams

Matti Williams

A ringing woke me up in my room. It wasn't an alarm clock, but it was a phone call. More specifically a phone call from my dad. I looked at the clock that read 6:30 in the morning. I cleared my throat before answering, "Hey dad."

"Are you seriously sleeping on Michigan game day?" He asked.

Well, good morning to you too Colton Williams.

"I had my alarm set for seven, chill out," I responded.

"Has Coach Webber said anything about the scouts?" Of course. Here we go. As if I didn't need more stress on me than usual when it comes to game day. "Dad. I thought we talked about this, if I don't want to declare this year I don't have to. But the steelers came last game..." I spoke into my iPhone.

"Steelers are a good team. They might be needing a new starting QB soon. Anyway son, I just wanted to call you to let you know that your mother and I will be at the next game. I know we haven't been to any this year but you know how busy we are. How are the classes?" Same old same old. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed that they aren't coming to yet another game, because truthfully I'm not. My mom would always show up in high school over my dad because she was the head of the team moms. However, since I chose to go to Penn State over their alma mater of Michigan, they really haven't been that dedicated to my collegiate career unless it's about my future in the NFL.

"Yeah, dad. Classes are going great, listen I have to go get ready. I'll text you after the game." I replied, we said our goodbyes and then hung up.

I didn't need that phone call right now.

Getting ready and grabbing my keys, on my drive to the stadium I had a lot to think about and a lot on my mind.

It was game day but for some reason, I had much more on my mind than just throwing the pigskin. Yesterday, after the ice cream shop, which I thought was going great, I was swallowed with a cold sweat feeling.

Blake told me it was blue balls.

Griffin told me it was guilt.

I don't think it's the blue balls because after all- I saw Chloe at the party so I pretty much drained them out.

I do feel guilty because after she walked away from me with her head down, I realized and had come to the conclusion: I was a fucking jerk.

I didn't mean for what I said to come out like that. I know a person in my position is very accumulated from being a snob, but I should know better. I didn't know she didn't have what the girls in her friend group did have. I mean, Griffin talks all the time about Natalie's penthouse in the city. And Caden drives a Jaguar F- Pace to practice.

I was wrong.

And I needed to find the tiny brunette to apologize.

Pulling into the parking lot and getting out of my jeep, I smiled and waved at some tailgaters as they told me to 'haul ass today'. I walked into the locker room with my head down, sat down on the bench, and stared at the white boarded wall.