sixty-one

Naomi Black

Naomi Black

"Merry Christmas!" Sloane screams at me through the snapchat video she sent me. I chuckle, clicking on the response button. I sent her back a picture of Mimi and I cuddled up on the couch wearing our matching Christmas pajamas.

I chucked my phone to the side and laid back on the couch.

It was silent. It was the kind of quiet where everything sounded like it was ringing.

I observed my living room in amazement.

So much life has been here before. I was just here with Matti a month ago to be exact. I look at the pictures placed all around the mantel, smiling at the memories.

But frowning in the realization that it was just me.

I was celebrating alone this year.

I huffed, looking down at Mimi. She was knocked out cold, we had fallen asleep on the couch watching Christmas movies. She felt comfortable, she was happy to be back home.

But I still didn't know what home was at this point.

I cleared my throat, trying to clear the tears out of my tear duct. Trying to clear my mind out of the funk I was going into. I had been fighting this mindset for the last ten days, I wanted it gone.

I picked up my phone again and clicked on Instagram. Smiling, the first picture that popped up was a Merry Christmas post from Blake's account. It was a picture of Matti and him, smiling.

Mattison Williams had consumed every thought in my mind for the last ten days.

I knew why he left—and it made sense. It just hurt knowing that he couldn't have waited. It hurt knowing he almost threw away my future, for his own feelings.

But Matti Williams had too many chances.

He would be crawling back to me if he wanted me—because I was my own person now.

For these last ten days, I had tried to occupy my mind and time with happy thoughts. Thoughts that wouldn't make me fucking hate myself because he left me.

I just wished I was good enough to make him stay.

My phone started to vibrate, an incoming FaceTime call from a person I had become almost as close as Blake with.

I accepted, not even caring about how I looked at that moment. It was way too early for him, but I knew he called to make sure I wasn't lonely.

They all were taking turns to make sure I wasn't and that made me feel guilty.

"Black," He smiled at the camera. I smiled back, "Hi Reese."

He chuckled, and then water dripped from his hair, down the side of his face. I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you wet?" I asked as he pulled the camera back from the screen.