Unreal

Chapter 39

Damon

This was going to absolutely destroy Freya. Cosimo's trick with the coin worked the only problem was it let us straight to a graveyard right behind the Brotherhood Mansion where we buried other members and... children.

We stood right at the edge of the graveyard near the woods towards the back of the property by the clearing. Freya made herself invisible and I was hiding behind a tree next to her. The air was cold and wind was strong. I could feel the hairs on my body raise as the cold wind hit my face.

"He's dead", she whispered defeated.

"At least you know", I said hoping that brought her some comfort,"He didn't suffer".

"He didn't get to live either",I could feel her heartbreaking as if it were my own. Two days ago she didn't even know this kid existed yet she was going to carry this for the rest of her life. We were going to carry this.

"He's not alone. Lots of boys play in the graveyard. A lot of the teachers encourage the kids to come to the graveyard and make a little noise so the dead aren't forgotten", I offered.

"I guess, that's good", she said dropping her coins. As soon as they started to lead us the way they turned an ugly copper green and red. She threw them in a bush,"I wouldn't have been a good mother anyway".

"You'd be a great mother", I expressed. I don't know where this baby fever came from. But as soon as we had time I wouldn't mind starting a family. I never thought about it before but I could see that happening with Freya.

Before she could respond the sound of children laughing and playing filled in the air. 20 or so boys rushed into the clearing. It looked like elemental tag was still the thing. The boys were hurling water balls, piths of dirt, gusts of wind and tiny fireballs that one another. The group mother came into view and sat in a fold-out chair as she read a book and let the boys play. My eyesight was way better now and I was able to see Erza sitting on his knees next to the group mother sadly looking at the other boys having fun.

"What do you see?" Freya Said making herself visible and she came and stood with me behind the tree.

"You remember the deaf and mute boy you saved from The Order?"

"Erza, right?"

"Right".

"You know there should be some kind of rule against bullying at Haven", coming from the woman that singlehandedly demolished the entire campus was ....something. "He just has to sit by the teacher and watch as everyone else has fun?"

"I'm sure the being deaf and mute part plays a huge part in them not including him. They can't talk to him. Can you still connect with him?"

"I don't know, I haven't tried",

Erza? Can you hear me?

I watched as the boy jumped to attend.

Freya?

He guessed looking around still confused. His voice was small, timid and full of innocence.

How come you're not playing with the other boys?