You're Back

Chapter 3

Freya

"Okay, Drakus, hold still," I said trying to tie a silk ribbon with a tiny camera around his neck like the ugliest necklace I've ever seen.

Hheeerrr!

"I know, I know, but this is going to help us," I smiled. Damon and Cosimo were still arguing but now it was on what we should bring. I was doing my best to stay out of that conversation. I was perfectly content sitting on the stairs with my familiars until we could get this party going. "There, perfect."

Drakus purred returning to my head. "READY TO GO GUYS!" I shouted but no one seemed to hear me. Damon and Cosimo were just in the other room but they each had something to prove to each other so... I'll stay... here...

What the hell was that?

I stood up dumbfounded as a swirling dark Vortex started to grow in the middle of the floor, "Guys!"

Drakus hissed digging his claws into my head.

"Damon?! Cosimo?!" A tornado-like wind started to pick up and a figure started to emerge from the inky hole. Darkest clung to its skin until it ripped itself away like a balloon popping.

It was a man.

He collapsed naked on the floor shivering in shock. Just as quick as the vortex came, it disappeared. But not without throwing a small poster holder directly at my head. I caught the plastic tube without even thinking.

"H-h-e-elp...m-me," the man struggled to say. I rushed over to the man's side. His body wasn't that fat really, certainly not slim. He would have been white if it weren't for all the freckles. There were so many his face was brown with small pale spaces here and there, like the tips of grass struggling to show through the golden-brown leaves of fall. His eyes sparkled, the light making them look alive. Their light brown color was soft, the exact shade of a latte.

"I know you." My eyes widened with excitement and I rushed over to the window to pull down one of the curtains to cover his naked body. I draped him the thick red fabric. He was still shaking. "It's okay, Philip? That is your name right?"

He curled himself up into a ball facing me as I placed my hand on his back and called up my fire element to warm his body. "Y-y-ee-s."

"You don't have to worry anymore, you're back." I couldn't save you last time but I'll make it right now.

"Daniel? Is h-h-e safe? Did he m-make it?"

I nodded my head yes, "He's safe."

I felt relief flow through him, "What's going on here?" Cosimo asked rushing over to me with Damon close behind. I guess they finally figured out what we needed because they were dressed in winter gear with heavy backpacks and snow boots.

"Oh, so now you can hear me?" I said with a roll of my eyes.

"Who is this?" Damon asked taking off his winter jacket and giving it to Philip. We helped Philip sit up and get the jacket on. At least now he was halfway dressed.

"This is Philip," I responded as we worked together to get him to his feet.

"Should I know him?" Damon asked.

"He's not a demigod, I can tell you that from looking at him," Cosimo said picking up the poster holder that was flung at me.

"No, he's not. He was the reason I went into Hades' playground, remember, I was too late," I explained.

"You used your favor to bring him back," Damon smiled.

"Yup."

"He's much too weak to go back. You can let him rest in one of the suites. By the time we get back he should be the picture of perfect health," Cosimo suggested.