94

☀︎

From the moment Oriana ran into the hospital and screamed bloody murder, everything went so fast I had a difficult time spotting where I was or what they were doing to me. Multiple nurses around my trembling body, the adrenaline wearing off and I've gone into a state of shock. They've been asking me questions, I don't know how to answer any of them. 

"What do we have here?" A rough voice speaks and my eyes cut to the doctor. 

A nurse nods at him, "Female, 24 years old, deep cut on her wrist, an abdominal stab wound, and the knife is still embedded. She hasn't been unconscious and the bleeding is under control, we'll have to perform surgery to ensure blood vessels and skin rupture. The scan shows no sign of the knife being lodged in any vital organ."

He doesn't answer her, but glances down at me, "I'm Doctor Harly. Smart of you not to remove the object."

"Can't we get this over with," I reply, exceptionally frustrated because of how the nurses and now he feels like a chat with me.

All of them disregard my attitude and keep up their work. The doctor explains protocol with a nurse, weighing the pros and cons between general or local anesthesia. If they ask me, I want to be conscious during all of it. Which is what they decide on in the end. 

I'm put under local anesthesia, my entire abdomen is nothing and it actually feels as if I don't have one at all. A nurse places a cloth on top of my head, it's not like I wanted to see the gory details anyway. Doctor Harly operates on my wound and removes the knife, I don't feel a thing. The wound treatment begins with irrigation apparently, this is why I prefer being under local, I can hear what they're talking about. 

The surgery only manages to be my distraction for a short while before thoughts invade my mind again. Xavier looked terrible, multiple stab wounds were spread across his body, they had beaten him to a point where his entire face was both bloodied and swollen. My heart aches for him. 

He didn't sign up for any of this, if my father hadn't known I was working with him and that I'd taken a liking to him, then Xavier would be perfectly fine. Joseph came out almost unharmed, they targeted Xavier because they knew of my affection for the man. 

The mere thought of him in such suffering leaves me heartbroken, the pieces of guilt weigh my chest down tortuously. My father was a monster. He did so much to destroy my life for me, he can't be allowed to take Xavier away from me. It isn't an option. I finally allowed myself to be me around a person again, which is something I never did. 

My thoughts overflow as they perform the surgery on me, my heart just as numb as my wound. 

*****

"The surgery was successful, Miss Martinelli," Doctor Harly speaks with a smile. "We'll monitor you for the next days and discharge you when everything has healed. Are you certain the accident was caused by you dropping a knife?"

He just had to remind me of my weak excuse, it was the only thing I came up with under the pressure. Working well under pressure clearly only proves beneficial in situations where I have to end up killing someone. 

"Yes," I sincerely answer and he leaves the room with a nod of finality. 

Right after his departure, I stand up from the uncomfortable bed and squeeze my eyes shut from the discomfort in my gut. Pain killers work shit these days, I swear. Removing the itchy hospital gown, I step into my tight pants and shirt again, tugging on my boots with much difficulty. 

Oriana had to leave me here alone, she needed to check up on Xavier and Santi. Fortunately for me, she left a gun behind for my protection. I tug the weapon into the right side of my waistband, needing it to keep myself secured. 

Walking nonchalantly out of the room, I creep into the already opened elevator door. The machine moves downwards and I lean against the wall behind me, a dull sigh leaves my lips because of the pain I'm hopelessly trying to hide. I want to know what happened to Xavier, he has to be okay. 

It's been roughly 18 hours since I escaped that place, by now he must be out of his surgery as well, hopefully conscious. 

The entrance of the hospital smells like freedom, and I resist the urge to smile when I step outside in the crisp air. My mind is instantly awakened and I grab my phone, reading the message from Marc telling me that he will be here within the next two minutes. 

Thoughts race through my mind, too fast for me to catch. It gives me a headache to think this much, it isn't typical of me to be overthinking in this manner, but I can't help it. This is why I find myself thankful when Marc pulls up, I open the passenger door and sit down in the warm vehicle. 

He gives me a disheartened smile, "Eloisa, listen, I'm fucking sorry I didn't succeed in following you out there. We discovered the insider, Owen, he locked me in a torture room before I had the chance to run. Oriana hurried after you when she realized I was in trouble, she knew you were in danger and she felt the need to help. I'm so fucking sorry I wasn't there."

Owen was the insider?

It doesn't really shock me. He has been on my case ever since I got there, always commenting on my behavior and trying to reprimand my ways. If he hadn't been one of the trusted ones, I would've placed a bullet between his eyes the first fucking day I met the prick. 

I shake my head, being careful not to apply pressure on the wound when I click on the seatbelt, "Don't worry. Oriana helped me and I'm sure you would've if you had the chance to as well. I just need to get home to Xavier, is he okay?"

Marc pulls away from the hospital and toughens his grip on the steering wheel, "He's fighting, that's for sure."

My heart squeezes making it challenging for me to breathe, "He will be okay, right?"

His blue eyes cut to mine, the volume of the words he's speaking cuts straight to my gut, "He will always fight, that's kind of what he does best."

"Is he out of surgery?" 

"Yes," He nods. "But he hasn't woken up from the anesthesia just yet. The doctor said that he'll wake up within the next couple of hours."

The mafia has their own private hospital, it guarantees that they won't have to register every wound and surgery. Nobody out there will ask any questions. Oriana didn't take me there in her panic, but it probably would've been smarter of me out there. 

The public will always ask questions and I fucking suck at answering them. 

"I'll kill Owen," I snarl under my breath. 

"He's waiting for you and Xavier in a room in the basement," Marc smirks at me in a wicked manner.