03

☀︎

My heart jumps by the serious expression on his face, this must be the man I've been looking for. This must be Mr. Romano and the very reason behind my family's murder. His eyes are raging intensely, and his rough hand grabs my chin painfully, no part of me feels fearful of him, "Don't be stupida now, tell me what you're doing here."

Grabbing his wrist in my smaller hand, I pierce my nails into his skin and stare into those dark irises with no ounce of emotion on my face, "I don't particularly do well with orders, I am no bitch."

He lets go of me and takes a step back, allowing me to breathe some relatively fresh air, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't place a bullet between those big eyes of yours."

My eyes flicker to the door and I consider how many men he has standing out there, my momentary distraction makes him chuckle and the sinister sound provokes goosebumps to rise on my skin. He takes a step closer to me again, the proximity messing with my mind and I hope this can be used to my advantage. 

His fingers tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and I instantly adjust it to the front again, he seems shocked by my actions, "You won't get the chance to leave, amore. There's no reason for you to be searching for a way out. There isn't one, you are all alone."

I smirk and grab the gun from my trusted thigh holster, aiming it at him and tilting my head to the side, "Then all is right in the world again, Mr. Romano."

Some part of me expected a reaction from him, but all I see is him staring at me with such indifference it bothers me. No move is made to correct me, and I realize that this man truly is the mafia boss. He takes a step closer to me and I back away from him, "Who are you?" He questions.

"Demon to some, angel to others," I answer in disinterest.

"Give me your name," The order comes out rough and I refuse to obey, he should know this already.

I cock the gun and he raises an eyebrow, "Now that would destroy the element of surprise, don't you think?"

"I am not a man to play games," He says and the low tone to his voice has me believing his words, the Italian is heavy on his tongue making this much harder. His quick strides surprise me, and he once again grabs me, this time by the neck in an iron grip. His lips crawl up my neck and shivers torture my body, "Not even with a whore."

Acting on instinct, I grab a knife from my bun and cut his hand that is currently cutting off my oxygen. He hisses in pain and releases me long enough for me to slip away from him, hurrying out of the door I see no one and run in the other direction. He yells at me and tries to keep up with the head start. I finally reach the elevator and spot the lifeless man still on the floor, stepping in I push the button and my eyes meet the angry ones of Mr. Romano. He looks at the man by my feet and cuts to me again before the doors close on his face.

This isn't the place to kill him either, I want him to suffer by my torturous hands and he has too many men in this building protecting his ass. Now I know who he is, which will make it easier for me to find him in the future. If I get out alive tonight, that is.

The doors open and I run out, hurrying down the flight of stairs and end up in the hallway again. Two guards spot me and run after me when I speed outside, this is a deserted street and my heels alarm the other guards out here. Mr. Romano must've warned them already. They follow me down the street and I lead them into an alleyway.

Hiding behind a dumpster they run down in the farthest end of the alley, clearly searching for me. Counting my bullets, I should have more than enough to take them down. I place the silencer on the gun and shoot the first two men, they drop dead in front of the others, and this is my chance. Shooting the rest of them, I try to hide the pain when a bullet graces my thigh. The culprit is aiming at me again and I pull the trigger, hitting him in the chest and he falls to the floor. It's a mess of bodies and blood, a sinister smirk reaches my lips and I grab a phone from one of them.

Finding Romano in his contacts I call him up, his rich voice spills through the phone instantly, "L'hai trovata?!" (Did you find her?!).

"Oh, they found me," I respond and hear him chuckle darkly, deciding to start walking I stalk down the streets and away from the scene. "Quite a wondrous mess I've created for you."

"Amore," He states breathlessly and the word rings through my soul. "Never underestimate angels, no? I just wonder who allowed you to kill my men."

"In order to get the right answers, you must ask the rights questions," Pausing slightly I walk into the dark park of this city. "It isn't who allowed me to kill them, the true question is who's going to stop me from slaughtering more."

"I don't believe you are threatening me. Or are you, Miss Martinelli?" The second he utters my last name, a surge of energy jolts through my body. He has done his research already. His men aren't playing around even though I knew this would happen, I hoped it would. He will seek me out and then I will have time to attack him, torture him, ensure him screaming. Begging for me to end his life.

"Until the lambs become lions," I say and hang up on him, not wanting to entertain the idea of him anymore. He knows who I am and I'm certain he has tracked down the phone. Ruining the device with my heel, I walk towards my home and use many short cuts through the darkness. Not wanting or needing any of them to follow me. My address is the only aspect of my life that is private, no one knows where I am. According to the system, I'm dead and that is exactly what I need the mafia to believe. This will be one hell of a mess.