24

☀︎

"What do you mean?" He says, the quiver in his voice makes me smile and he takes a step away from me. Oh, who's inching away from who now? Grabbing my knife from the thigh band, I allow myself to play some wicked games with him. I have all the time since the men from the Italian mafia are carrying Marc out of here. The frightened man in front of me turns around, "Where are my members?"

"Dead."

"What do you mean?"

"You actually ask that question a lot."

"That's because you're doing something behind my back! What the hell is it?" His voice is now angry, although it does nothing to me. Except for humoring me a little. "You can't just show your face like this, I've never heard of a Martinelli before in this city."

"I like seeing you completely out of it. Is your mouth running dry? Can you feel your heartbeat in your fingertips? Has that fearful shiver run down your spine yet? How far along in the process are we really?" My question seems to throw him off. 

His angered eyes storm over and he grabs my wrist roughly, "Tell me what-"

My knife instantly slices down his cheek and he lets go of me in a hurry, his cry of pain fills up the silence in the room. 

"Touch me again and you'll fucking burn," My voice is deadly. 

Xavier is standing in the distance, leaning against the wall with crossed arms he observes the show. I have no clue what is running through his mind, but some part of me is fucking curious to know. He must be wondering how truly wicked I am. This is what I like to do with my victims, I love to play with them before I kill them off. 

"You can't just slice at me!" He screams and charges in my direction again, so stupid of you. 

Stabbing my knife into his gut he falls onto his knees in front of me, I grip the handle of the knife roughly and twist it once, smirking at him, "No, you're absolutely right. I can't just slice at you, a knife needs to stab. Apologies."

Pulling it from his gut, his heavy body drops to the floor in front of me. His hands are gripping the stab on his stomach, a perfect pool of blood suddenly surrounds him. My emotionless eyes meet his and he has such confusion written behind them. 

A cough rages through his body, blood follows the sound and all of us know what that means. 

Crouching down next to him, I tilt my head to the side and stare coldly into his eyes, "Remember the name, darling."

"Fuck," He coughs, his eyes zoning in and out of consciousness. "-You."

A smirk settles on my lips and I stand up from my position, tapping his side with my foot, "I'd fuck me, too."

Leaving him to die, I walk in the direction of Xavier and he pulls away from the wall with an easy smirk. He opens the door for me and I leave into the nightly air, the rain has finally settled and I enjoy the fresh smell of earth. 

Tucking the bloody knife into my thigh band again, I walk down the path we came from, enjoying the thrill of having removed yet another bad guy from the streets. If a defenseless person had gone in there, he wouldn't have stopped and I don't even want to know where that could've ended. 

Xavier is walking behind me and I turn around to face him, he looks down at me with those black eyes of his. The ones I find myself drowning in pathetically. 

"You know," He starts and scans my face. "One thing is hearing how ruthless you are, how much you enjoy playing with your victims. It's a whole other thing being able to see it."

Nodding my head, "He was a bad guy, I will never feel remorse for killing a predator."

"I won't stand here and say that you shouldn't, because both of us are fucking insane. But I must admit, it was something to see," If I'm not mistaken, there is a sliver of pride in his voice and it makes my heart pound in my chest. 

Xavier is slowly worming himself into my mind, the thought scares the shit out of me, but I don't really know how to stop it. I'm not sure if I even want to stop it. 

I'm being stupid now, of course I want it to stop.

He's merely an attractive and dangerous man. 

He takes a step closer to me and I can feel his warmth, "Will you come to the mansion tonight? I'll have a bath set up for you, your own room to sleep in, fresh clothes. Everything."

"No," I shake my head and he frowns.

"I don't want you being alone tonight."

"I've been alone for a while by now, don't worry about it."

"Yeah, you say that, but it doesn't really help here. These guys we messed with tonight, they're dangerous. Once word gets out about us killing a lot of them and their leader, they will search until they can destroy."

"So who will they recognize first?" I ask him, already knowing the answer.

"Probably me," He states. 

"Thank you for proving my point. It's more dangerous for me to stay at the mansion. No one knows the face to my name and they surely don't know my address, it's fine for me to stay home," My words seem to convince him, but he isn't pleased with the answer. 

Xavier starts walking again and I follow him to the car, he opens the door for me and I sit down. The sound of the door shutting shakes me out of my mind, this truly just happened. I allowed him to see the ruthless side of me, he saw my smirk as I stabbed a man in the gut. 

His broad frame sits down and he drives away from the building instantly, my mind is still slightly jumbled, but I truly did enjoy that fight tonight.

"Is Marc okay?" I ask. 

Xavier nods once, "Yeah."

"Why did you offer me a place to stay? Is this about the monsters helping each other?" The words tumble from my lips, but I don't regret them.

His body tenses and he grips the steering wheel, "Something like that."

The entire ride continues in silence and I direct him to a different street than where I'm actually living. I don't trust anyone enough to tell them where I live, it's too private, too dangerous to allow others to know. He turns in his seat and stares at me, the fatigue is slowly reaching me and I nod my head at him. 

"Thank you for taking me home," I say to him and open the door myself. 

His black eyes search mine as I step outside the car and look at him, "Except for this not being your home, but I understand you wanting to keep this secret to yourself."

"Goodnight, Xavier," I say to him, my voice hinting at the tiredness my body is feeling. 

"Sleep well," He answers and gives me a small smirk. "Till next time, Eloisa."

I hide my smile from him and close the door, hurrying away from the man who is slowly waking up a part of me I've kept away for so long. 

It's crazy to me how it took someone as damaged as myself to do exactly that.