32

☀︎

Waking up the next morning, I realise how stupid it was of me last night. Opening up like that about my family, about who they were, their funny traits and our lovely traditions. It was too simple to talk to Xavier, he seemed to listen intently and he was truly curious. Nothing about him made me wary, which is fucking dangerous. 

He's built to be like that, his entire persona is established to appear trustworthy if he wishes to be that. Xavier is the master of mind games. 

Doing my business in the bathroom, I brush my teeth and wash my face, getting control of my curly hair. Grabbing a pair of black jeans with rips in the knees, I tuck a black knitted sweater into the pants and try to get a grip before walking downstairs. The hallway is empty, people littered everywhere yesterday, so this sight has me weirded out.

Walking down the stairs, I see a very familiar man standing by the stove, cooking what appears to be a huge meal for breakfast. He is the only one here and I look around in confusion. 

"Did you kill everyone in this house?" I ask Xavier. 

He turns to me with a breathtaking smile playing on his lips, "Tempting, but no. There is an issue with one of our locations, most of my men have already left to go there."

"Will you go as well?"

"Yeah," He nods. "But I was hungry and didn't feel like being with all of them this early in the morning, so I thought I could make some breakfast for the two of us before I go on my own."

Nodding at him, I sit down by the kitchen island, "You know, nothing about you screams big and bad mafia boss. Except for you stabbing the waiter last night. Oh, and when you sliced the throat of the men in the club. Also," I pause and reconsider his actions. "Probably also when you took down all those guys in the warehouse by Marc."

"Did you just contradict your own teasing comment?" He smiles at me. 

"I guess I did," Shrugging my shoulders, he just chuckles at my answer. "Ho ragione però." (I'm right though).

"Sure you are," He settles with answering before handing me a plate. It's filled with eggs, bacon, french toast, and different types of fruit. I'm even offered coffee to which I nod thankfully. Taking a bite of the delicious food he turns to me expectantly, "What do you think?"

"It doesn't get any better than this."

"Is that a compliment?" He questions and I smile. 

"È un complimento," (It is a compliment). 

"Grazie, Eloisa," He answers and sits down next to me, drinking from his own cup of coffee before digging into the food. "Cucinare dovrebbe essere il mio lavoro." (Cooking should be my job).

"Umile, Xavier," (humble) I laugh at him and his eyes focus on my dimples. 

"I like those when you smile," He speaks with honesty lacing his tone. 

"Thank you," I say, not knowing what to answer, compliments will always be the one spot where I become uncomfortable. Especially around people who I enjoy spending time with. Xavier does pull out some side of me that I haven't seen in years, a side that was reserved to the Eloisa Martinelli who still had her family. 

We finish eating and he turns to me, "You will be somewhat alone in this house for these next couple of days, I don't know when we will be back, but just letting you know. I still have my guards here and I still believe you're safest here, not in your apartment. So, will you stay until I return?"

Thinking about his words, he's probably right. This house is the best option for me at the moment and I feel safe here, even with all these mafia men running around. 

"I'll stay," I say to him with a nod and he smiles. 

Xavier walks towards the door and grabs his shoes, while he puts them on I inch closer to him. He tugs a suitcase to the door and gives me a smile, I return it on instinct, "Thank you for last night and this morning, Xavier. You're not as bad as I thought you would be."

"Thank you, Eloisa," He says. His hands cup my cheeks and he places a simple kiss to my forehead, clearly surprising both me and himself. The action provokes flutters in my gut and I desperately try to ignore it, I shouldn't react like this to a member of the Romano family. 

His smile leaves me breathless and he opens the door, grabbing his suitcase he gives me one final wink before exiting through the space. The piece of wood closes behind him, officially leaving me alone in this huge ass house. 

**** 

It has been literal hours and I'm completely exhausted, sprawled across the bed in my room. I did the one thing I wanted to do ever since I came here, which was to snoop around in this big mansion, hoping to find clues on Carlos Romano. Unfortunately, nothing seems to add up and it frustrates me. 

That beast is out there somewhere and Xavier knows it, I just need to figure out exactly where he's hiding. 

Doing some research on my phone hasn't helped either, as usual. Carlos Romano is wiped off the face of the earth, never to be seen again. The thought of me never reaching him, never getting revenge for my family, it sickens me. He needs to know why he dies, he needs to remember their names, their faces, I want him to suffer. 

To me it doesn't matter that I broke my trust with Xavier by snooping, that man is keeping a shitload of secrets from me as well. The true issue is how well we work together, if we hadn't, none of it would've gotten in the way. I simply can't allow some reactions towards a man get in the way of something I need to do. 

I need to kill Carlos Romano, for myself, for my family, for every single person out there he has ever hurt. 

He is nothing more than a monster who deserves to finally face the music. My mind is too set on getting him down, I can't bring myself to care who I pull down along with him. As long as he's gone at the end of it. My fingers burn to kill him, the need is running through my veins at a rapid pace. 

Carlos Romano will die by my hands.