47

☀︎

My finger runs along the leather couch in Xavier's office while I circle it, looking at the man sitting on top of the desk in the middle of the room. His intense eyes are carrying my own, the sight of him in here has my thoughts wandering. He removed his suit jacket earlier, now sitting in black dress pants with a white shirt tucked into them. The shirt is slightly unbuttoned at the top and it shows me his strong chest, his forearms are also on display by him rolling up the sleeves. 

What really catches my attention is his bandaged hand, the wound from my knife left him bleeding profusely and he had to stop it somehow. I was patiently waiting for him to finish fixing himself, while walking around his office and scanning every last piece of art. 

Now here we are, simply staring at each other with no sound filling up the tense space. 

"Will you tell me what you lured me in here for?" I ask him, breaking the silence and staring into his black eyes. 

"You won't believe me at first, but I will tell you exactly what I know. Are you open to placing an oath on Omertá?" His dark voice carries through the room. 

"Only regarding this issue, I promise on Omertá not to speak to others on it," I say to him and he seems pleased with my answer.

"My father knows you're after him, he knows of your every move and he planted that dealer in the abandoned house. You were supposed to go underground tonight. My father was ready with everyone and you wouldn't have survived, Eloisa. That's why we felt the need to interfere, you were blinded by rage which is bizarre considering how emotionless you can be," I'm surprised by this. No part of me suspected an attack on me. 

"That seems strange."

"He doesn't care. Which is exactly what I told you that day before you ran away," He tells me. 

"Yeah, right before you threatened me not to touch your father. You were the bad guy that day, Xavier."

"I misread you, thinking that if I needed you not to go after him it would intrigue you enough to stay. But this issue of yours is deeper than wanting to simply kill the former mafia leader, you have some sort of personal problem with him and I would like to know what that's about."

"I placed an oath, you need to promise me the same," I tell him. He won't break a promise and I know this, mafias are big on loyalty. 

"I promise not to speak on it to others, Eloisa."

Nodding my head, "I have a personal vendetta against him. He murdered my family two years ago, he deserves to die for that."

"My father murdered your family?" He seems shocked by this.

"Yes."

Those black eyes cut to mine, "You can't act on your emotions because of that, it will end up getting you killed."

"You know that I don't care about dying." 

"Fine," He says, not dwelling on my comment. "I have a reason to kill Dracona and since the two of them are plotting together, you and I might as well go against the them, jointly."

"I don't work with others," Stating this with finality, I sit down on the leather couch. 

"Do you even realise how deadly we could be together?" His question has me thinking, we could make a lethal team, but it isn't only a team with him; I'd team up with his entire mafia. "If you wish death upon my father, then grab this opportunity I'm giving you, Eloisa."

"Why aren't you trying to stop me from killing one of your family members?" I ask him. 

"Because my father is going against me right now, none of them trust me and I don't trust him either. I haven't seen him in so fucking long, he means absolute shit to me," His explanation makes sense. Even though I believe him, I can't give him my full trust. It would be stupid of me to trust him, but I can use his knowledge and his mafia to get me there and in the end kill his father. 

I can't trust Xavier, but he can help me speed up the process of killing Carlos Romano.

"Why are you going after Dracona?" 

His eyes pierce mine and I hold his intense gaze with my own, "I have no clue who he is, but he is threatening a part of my mafia. I won't allow him to toy around with us. He's fucking naive if he thinks he can get away with that."

"Won't it be idiotic of you to cut your business off? He seems like a huge part of your income," I use the fact that Xavier's open to my questions right now. 

"I don't think you understand the money I make," He starts. "Dracona means nothing to my income, he won't even create a dent in my pocket. Don't worry about the money aspect of things. He needs to die because he thinks he can toy with the Italian mafia, it's as simple as that."

"What does this cooperation entail?"

"You will stay here, we will involve each other in every last bit of detail we have, from there you and I are going to plot for the attack that will inevitably occur," It seems like a fair plan. 

Searching his black eyes, I find it hard to read if he has any hidden thought behind this that could harm me, "If you're two-timing me, I will cut off your balls with a fucking spoon, capisce?" (understand).

"Your mouth is always so crude, Eloisa," He tuts at me, there is a hint of humor on his face and I tilt my head to the side at the sight. 

His strong legs move and my eyes follow the elegant movement, before he sits down next to me on the couch. Licking my lips at the sight of him sprawled across the couch, his shirt slightly unbuttoned, forearms on display, the wide and proud stance in his legs, his black eyes that are currently scanning my entire frame in a provocative manner. 

After kissing him tonight I've become too aware of his dominating presence in this room, it's insane how one man can demand so much attention without saying a single word. My bold eyes are carrying his with just as much intensity, none of us are backing down and that's always the issue when we end up in these situations. 

He bites his bottom lip lightly and the sensual sight goes straight to my gut, the tightening in my stomach is too painful to ignore. His dangerous eyes are searching me out, the intensity makes it difficult for me to breathe. Being the center of his attention is never a good thing, it won't end up in my favor. His hand tightens on the couch and I know he must be holding himself back, looking into his deadly stare he has me hooked. 

"Xavier," I start, my voice has taken on a certain breathlessness. "We probably shouldn't."

His black eyes stare into my emerald ones before he agrees in a darker tone, "You're probably right."

My moral compass flies right out of the window, when both of us smoothly and instantaneously lean in and crash our lips together in a painful explosion of fire. This is fucked.