29. Vacation? Not Really.

Post Date: 01.05.21

Word count: 1.6k

Based off: 04x10 "After School Special"

A/N: I was able to write out this part since it was just a filler. It's a bit weird since I didn't really know what I was doing next but I hope you all enjoy it.

--------------------

The next morning I woke up to find texts from Tyler and Elena saying that Carol Lockwood is dead. And a text from Caroline saying she thinks that Klaus did it. Great, more shit I didn't want to deal with after last night. As I got ready for school Caroline texted me that there was going to be a memorial service.

~At School~

I sat down next to Bonnie as the memorial started.

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness, in times of tragedy, leads to healing. That one community is stronger together than a thousand of its members," Sheriff Forbes says as Bonnie passes her flame to light my candle. "But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than just a mayor. She was an open-minded friend, and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident," Sheriff Forbes says and Tyler gets up and leaves the auditorium.

"I'm gonna go check on Tyler," I say to Elena and Bonnie and follow after him. I make my way into the hall and find Tyler hurriedly walking down the hall.

"Tyler," I say barely loud enough.

"What?" He asks and stops.

"I--I just wanted to make sure you're doing ok," I say hesitantly.

"Why?" He asks annoyed.

"I don't know. I just feel like this is somehow my fault. I---I said things to Klaus and I feel that what I said to him pushed him over and caused him to...," I trail off and slowly make my way to him.

"Athena. I don't even want to try and understand what is going on between you and him. But I know for a fact that if Klaus did something, it was not your fault. So if you don't mind I'd like to leave," He says and continues walking down the hall.

"Tyler. Just let me know if you need anything, really," I say even though he's a few feet away. I make my way back to the auditorium and find Caroline hanging her phone up.

"Hey, you good?" I ask her.

"Yeah, I just want to help Tyler, but he's too stubborn to accept any," She says.

"Yeah, I just talked to him and he just brushed me off," I say looking at the ground.

"Are you ok?" She asks.

"I just---feel like if Klaus did do this. It's my fault. Last night I said things that could've sent Klaus into a major spiral. And I don't know if I could handle it if..." I say.

"Look, there's nothing that you could've done or said for Klaus to do this. There's so much more happening, that doesn't involve you. That the likelihood is very low. Trust me, we'll figure this out," Caroline says.

"Still," I say quietly.

"I'm gonna try to find Tyler. Just take a day to yourself. You deserve it," Caroline says and hugs me before walking off. After thinking a bit I decide to make a phone call.

"What?" Damon asks.

"You're still at the Gilbert cabin right?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?" He asks.

"I need some time away from Mystic Falls and stuff. Mind if I come?" I ask.

"Will you help with Jeremy's training?" Damon asks.