36. Rite of Passage

Post Date: 03.02.2021

Word count: 1.9k

Based off: 04x23 "Graduation"

A/N: So I decided to skip the two eps before this. I just wasn't sure how to write Athena into it and I really wanted to get the TO, but it still did happen.

--------------------

After Bonnie had activated the expression triangle, we still had to attend graduation, which was out of our hands. Even with all the ghosts of the supernatural running around. I went to the school to pick up my cap and gown as Caroline handed them out.

"You know what's going on?" I ask Caroline.

"No, but I was about to call Bonnie and figure out what she's doing. I mean she should be here right now," Caroline says taking her phone out.

"I hit kind of a snag," I hear Bonnie say over the phone.

"A snag? A snag is a bad yearbook picture. You hit a tsunami. Where are you?" Caroline asks.

"Trying to fix it. I'm running into some trouble. I need to wait until the full moon tonight to have enough power to put the veil back up," Bonnie explains.

"Are you telling me that we might graduate right smack in the middle of a ghost-filled expression triangle?" Caroline asks.

"Maybe we should just cancel," Bonnie says.

"No! We are not going to cancel. Graduation is the most important event of our lives, the last ceremony of our youth. It is our rite of freaking passage! Hell will freeze over before I let anyone cancel graduation," Caroline says.

"Can you not make jokes about hell freezing over? We're not that far off from that already," Bonnie says.

"Just promise that today is a friend day," Caroline says.

"Ok. I promise. I love you," Bonnie says.

"I love you too," Caroline says and hangs up.

"I think Bonnie will solve it," I say.

"Yeah. I know. I just want today to be perfect," Caroline says.

"Just like any other special event," I smile. "Well if I could help in making that day more perfect, is there anything I can do?" I ask.

"Just show up," Caroline says.

"I promise," I say and hug her before leaving the school.

~Just before graduation~

"Where is everyone?" Caroline asks as I stand in line waiting with Bonnie.

"I'm here," Matt says running up to us.

"Where have you been?" Caroline asks Matt.

"Oh, you know, making plans for the summer dodging death by vampire hunter," Matt says.

"Where's Elena? We can't do this without her," Bonnie asks.

"I'm here," Elena says coming up to us with Stefan.

"I can't believe it. We're actually all here. We are all here together!" Caroline says excitedly. "Bonnie Bennett, are you crying?" Caroline asks.

"It's our last hurrah before you guys go off to college," Bonnie says.

"Before 'we' go off to college," Caroline says.

"I kind of sort of missed the deadline, you know being an emotionless bitch," Elena says.