23. Changes

Post Date: 10.27.20

Word count: 1.6k

Based off: 04x01 "Growing Pains"

--------------------

The next morning I woke up in the forest, very much alive. I was confused on how I was still alive. If I was alive, did that mean Klaus was still alive, or am I some loophole in nature? I felt a buzz from my phone in my pocket and pulled it out to find a dozen texts from Caroline, Damon, and Stefan.

"Elena died with vampire blood in her system. We're at her house," Was the last text I read from Stefan. Not even caring for the fact that I was still alive I made my way back to Elena's house as fast as possible.

I walked into the house hearing the Salvatore brothers fighting, "You wanna let up on your little brother?" You ask walking in. Damon perks up at your voice and quickly comes to hug you.

"You're alive? How?" He asks.

"I don't know. But what I do know is that I want to make sure Elena is ok," I respond.

"Well, I'm sure shd be glad to find out you're alive. But I gotta get out of here and all this sadness," Damon says before heading out. I wait for a little until Elena and Stefan make their way down.

"Athena?" I hear Elena say from the stairs. I quickly got up and pulled her into a hug. "How--How are you alive? Klaus died," She says as Stefan heads into the kitchen.

"I don't know, but I don't care about that right now. I just care about you and helping you get through this," I say as we head into the kitchen. As Elena and I sat down at the island, Stefan brought over some sandwiches. Elena takes a bite of it and makes a disgusted face.

"It's disgusting," Stefan states.

"No, it's um..." Elena starts.

"It's disgusting," You say.

"Yeah, I'm going to puke," Elena admits and spits the sandwich out.

"I never thought I'd be saying this, but I can't stop thinking about blood," Elena says.

"I should've saved you first, you shouldn't be going through this right now," Stefan responds.

"No, if you had saved me, then Matt would be dead. What do you think I'd be going through then?" Elena asks.

"She's right, Stefan," I agree.

"Stefan, listen to me. You did the right thing. You did what you always do--you respected my choice," Elena says moving to Stefan.

"And what am I supposed to do if Bonnie can't figure out a way to help you, huh? Because then you'll have another choice to make--either let yourself die or be a vampire," Stefan states.

"Well, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it... Oh, my god. Did--Did I just say 'cross that bridge?'" Elena says starting to laugh.

"You're laughing. I'm pretty sure you don't actually think that's funny," I say.

"I--I can't stop, though," Elena struggles through her laughs.

"You're emotions are a bit heightened today...A lot heightened," Stefan explains as Elena's laughs turn into sobs. Stefan quickly pulls Elena into a hug.

"I'm sorry, I...," Elena tries to get out.

"Listen to me. No matter what happens, I'm here for you. I can help you," Stefan says.

"And I don't know how I'm alive, but I'm here for you too," I add. Elean turns to look at me before being stopped by the sun shining in her eyes.

"Why don't you go back upstairs where it's dark. I'll clean up," Stefan suggests and Elena heads up.