27. Miss Mystic Falls

Post Date: 12.22.20

Word count: 1.9k

Based off: 04x07 "My Brother's Keeper"

--------------------

The next morning I woke up lying in Elena's bed. I must've fallen asleep at her place.

"Hey, I figured I'd let you sleep a bit longer," Elena says walking out of the bathroom.

"Little longer until what?" I ask groggily.

"Until we promised Caroline we'd help set up for Miss Mystic Falls," Elena says.

"Ugh. Do we have to? I don't even want to attend. I wasn't even here in the previous years," I groan.

"We promised Caroline and you're a founding Family member, you have to," Elena explains.

"Ugh...fine," I say and get up. I finish getting ready and we head over to Tylers, where the pageant is taking place. After Caroline gets off the phone she tells Elena and me to set up some flowers on the tables.

"I'm your best friend, and I would never pick sides, but are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soul mate. Sorry. Picking sides," Caroline says making her way to us.

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that every since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense," Elena explains.

"Yeah, I know. Stefan filled me in on all the gory Damon details," Caroline says.

"He did? Is he ok?" Elena asks.

"No. He's heartbroken," Caroline says without remorse.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Lie to him?" Elena says.

"No, but you weren't supposed to let Damon weasel his was into your newbie vampire heart," Caroline says.

"Well, he did, and that's exactly what I am--confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean," Elena says as I nod my head in agreement.

"Excuse me. I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants," A man says coming up to us.

"You're Professor Shane?" Elena asks.

"Yeah, that's right-- Professor by day, pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I'm apparently awarding a scholarship?" He says.

"Inside by the parlor," Caroline says.

"Right in here?" He asks pointing towards the house and Caroline confirms.

"All right. I'll just follow the scent of hair spray and world domination," He says and walks away.

"He's the one who told Damon how to break the Hunter's curse," I say.

"He's also the one that has bonnie so obsessed with practicing magic that she bailed on pageant prep," Caroline says.

"And now he's judging Miss Mystic Falls?" I ask confused.

"Jack of all trades or kind of creepy?" Elena asks as well. Caroline tells us to finish setting up the tables as she continues to make sure everyone else is doing their jobs.

"So what's going on with you and Klaus?" Elena asks.

"Do you really care? I mean he's hell-bent on destroying your life," I say.

"Humor me. You're my best friend, I just wanna know what's going on in your love life," She chuckles.

"Ok...ok love life is a strong phrase. I'm not particularly in the mood to talk to him. He kidnapped you and then forced me to let him kill one of his hybrids, Tyler and Haely's friend. So I'm trying to avoid him," I explain.