Chapter 37

The sound of my phone ringing makes me sit up abruptly as I reach forward to grab my phone that I dropped onto the bed after the concert.

As his name flashes across the screen, I immediately accept the call, waiting for it to finish connecting before being met with a roof.

"Umm, hi?" I giggle softly, wondering if he could hear me from wherever he was in the room.

The sound of ruffling travelled through the phone as Alex lifts the phone up quickly with a huge smile across his face.

"Tan, sorry, was just drinking some water." He says chuckling, still slightly out of breath from the performance. "Did you watch the concert?!"

"Would I be awake at five fifteen in the morning if I didn't watch it?" The sarcasm in my voice makes him chuckle lowly before nodding.

"Right. So what'd you think?" He asks excitedly, placing his phone down onto the table to balance in front of him before leaning back against the couch.

"I don't even know how to explain it in another way without sounding like I'm repeating myself, but I'm sure that concert would have been incredible live!" I bite my lip guiltily, knowing I chose the wrong words as I see Alex's face falter slightly. "Seriously Al, all three of you guys were amazing. I have to say though, I'm extremely proud of you, like you don't even understand."

I can see his smile widen and the blush that creeps across his face at my words which only makes me smile wider as he thanks me shyly.

"Oh don't be shy now." I tease, winking at him as he shakes his head while chuckling in response. "At least not after that performance."

"Roomie!" I let out another laugh as Reggie jumps onto the couch next to Alex, knocking into him completely. "Did you like the new song?"

"Opinion Overload, it has a nice ring to it." I say as Reggie nods hastily.

"It was my idea!"

"No it wasn't." Alex furrows his eyebrows, shaking his head at me before looking over at Reggie questionably making him pout.

"It kinda was." I hear another distinct voice enter the room, making me press my nails into the palm of my hand. "I mean I said it unintentionally when we were talking, but Reg pointed it out and suggested it remember?"

I keep my eyes on Alex who finally caved in, nodding his head at Reggie who smiles proudly.

"I told ya!"

"Well, it was amazing, but to be fair, I don't think you guys could ever write a bad song." I say genuinely before Reggie gets up to grab a water bottle, leaving me alone with Alex again. "Now I'm going to have your songs stuck in my head for the next week."

"Luke, Tanna's on the phone, come say hi." I hear Reggie speak in the background, making my eyes widen slightly while waiting to hear his response.

"Reg, she doesn't want to speak to me." He says slightly softer but I still manage to catch ever word he said. "If I was her, I wouldn't want to either. It's okay though, go talk to her."

I shut my eyes for a second, listening to him speak to Reggie and I can't help but feel worse after hearing the tone of his voice.

As I open my eyes, I catch Alex watching me cautiously, furrowing his eyebrows as if he was silently asking me if I was okay to which I nodded in response.

Reggie walks back into view of the camera, moving to sit back down next to Alex as the two of them continue talking to me about the concert, maintaining my focus until I notice Luke fiddling with something in the background.

The two boys fall silent as they follow my gaze, turning around to see Luke zipping up his guitar case in the back. Alex gestures with his head towards Luke before raising his one eyebrow at me, knowing what I wanted to do without having to tell him.

"Hey Luke." My words come out softly, but when his head snaps over to me, I know it was loud enough for him to hear.

He shakes his head slightly after staring at the phone screen for a while before moving a bit closer to lean on the back of the couch.

"Hey Tan." I can't help the smile that spreads across my face after speaking to him for the first time since I left.

"Luke, she likes the new song!" Reggie says tapping Luke's arm excitedly and I sigh gratefully that Reggie started speaking, knowing that I didn't really know what to say next.

"It was really good, as usual. I can't wait to hear more songs when I come back." I watch his eyes light up with hope at the mention of me coming back. He bites his bottom lip, nodding his head before he thanks me. I smile back at him, mirroring his smile as he waves slightly before walking back to his guitar.

I feel the tiredness slowly creep back into my body, letting it take over as I cover my mouth while yawning.

"Tan you should probably go back to sleep before it gets too light outside." Alex says, making me nod in agreement.

"The things I do for you." I tease him slightly, because whenever I watched their concerts in London, i was always awake way too early to be considered normal all thanks to the different time zones.

"I'll speak to you tomorrow?" I nod, noticing that it was only around 9pm for them so by the time I wake up in a few hours, they'd already be asleep.

"Of course." I smile widely, about to say goodbye when I remember about the date with Jesse. "Oh wait, I'm going out with Jesse at like 5, so if I don't answer, I'll call you when I'm back home, I promise."

I see Luke's body freeze in the background at the same time that Alex sighs, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"You're going out with Jesse?"

"Um yeah, he asked me if I wanted to go out when he called yesterday." I explained, curious in the way he reacted when I first told him.

"Oh enjoy Tan, sleep well." I stare at the phone confused with his change in attitude as I look over to Reggie who just shrugs in confusion as well.

"Night guys."