Chapter 23

"So what? I know you like her Reggie."

My eyes widen at the words that escaped Luke's lips, causing the thoughts in my brain to fumble around until something made sense.

"That isn't what this about Luke."

"Isn't it? You were just jealous, so what's stopping you now?"

"I- Of course I like her man, she's literally perfect in every sense, how could you not, but I know that you two have always just had something and I'm not stupid enough to pretend to be oblivious to that. I'm not stupid enough to destroy whatever it was between you two, but I didn't have to, because you did it yourself."

"It was nothing!"

"You're lying."

"I had to do it for the band, imagine passing up on an opportunity like that! The band is the only thing that's made the last five years bearable."

"We've been playing gigs week after week, our followers have only been growing and as you said yourself, we even played The Orpheum. We would have gotten there ourselves without Laura and you know we would have. Luke do you not see what you've done to her?!"

"Why don't you go to her if you're so concerned, I mean it's the only chance you'll ever get with her after all right?"

My jaw dropped at his words, words he was deliberately using to hurt his best friend just because of me.

"I wouldn't do that to you and what she needs right now is someone who cares about her yet you've shown her the complete opposite."

"Why should I care? It's been two weeks and she hasn't even spoken to me."

"Luke, where have you been over these past two weeks?" There's silence before he continues speaking. "Exactly, do you not think she would have been willing to sort things out? Talk to you at least? All she wanted was you Luke and you messed it up."

"Stop telling me I messed it up, it's not my fault."

"So you're gonna blame this on her? It was you who messed it up, I know you think I'm usually oblivious to things, but when it comes to her I can't be, you hurt her Luke. You still are."

"There was nothing to mess up. You can't mess up something that never meant anything."

Suddenly the milkshake slipped out of my grasp, splattering all over the floor as silence fills the house as my presence is known.

I stand still for a second, looking down at the floor when I hear footsteps rushing towards the front door.

When the footsteps stop, I lift my gaze, meeting those beautiful green eyes that stare back at me. His eyes are filled with swirling emotions, yet I can't decipher what they are.

I shake my head slowly, looking up to the ceiling, feeling the tears run down my face trying to blink them away while Luke just stands there and watches, not moving any closer.

I hear footsteps lead to where we were, knowing Reggie was now in the room as well.

How could I have been so stupid.