Chapter 42

Tanna Carson

"I cannot believe you actually convinced us into watching this." I feel Alex's chest vibrate from underneath me as he groans in frustration.

"Al, last time I checked you liked all these romance movies."

"Oh, don't get me wrong, I love watching romance movies, but this, this is just cliché."

"There's a big difference between romance and cliché and this movie is just pure romance."

"Tan, you can't be serious. Every single Cinderella love story is the exact same and there's like five of them! Sorry but that's plain and simply cliché and you're just a hopeless romantic." As soon as the words leave his lips, I sit up from where I was resting against him before turning to face him.

"What's wrong with being a hopeless romantic?" I pout, furrowing my eyebrows as Alex holds his hands up in defense, noticing my expression.

"Nothing, nothing at all." I roll my eyes as soon as I notice the smile cross his face.

"I don't like you. You annoy me on purpose." I huff, trying to keep my pout without mirroring his smile.

"Please, you love me." A smile breaks out on my face as I laugh softly before turning back around and leaning back against his chest.

I turn my head to the side at the sound of Ella and Reggie's laughter. My smile widens at the sight of Reggie's arm around Ella as she rests her head on his shoulder.

"You two are ridiculous, you act exactly like siblings." Reggie nods hastily, agreeing with Ella's words.

"They're always like this."

"Imagine Alex being my brother, I don't think I'd cope." I tease, laughing as he pushes me away from him while playfully gasping.

"You wish you had me as your brother." He scoffs, placing his hand over his heart while Reggie and Ella continue to watch the two of us instead of the movie.

"You're right, I really wish I did." Alex's facial expression softens at my words before he pulls me tightly against his chest. "Al, I love you, but I can't breathe properly right now."

I laugh as he releases me quickly, checking if I was okay before wrapping his arms back around me.

"As much as I enjoy the entertainment you two are giving us, we're missing the whole movie, so can we watch please?" I turn my head to the side at the sound of Reggie's voice.

"Aww Reg, are you also a hopeless romantic?" I can't help but laugh as Ella teases Reggie, who just shrugs in response.

"Maybe. Now can we watch the movie? I don't even know why Sam's running through the building."

"Really Reg, it's the exact same as the last four Cinderella movies we watched."

"Whatever." He huffs, focusing his attention back on the movie as silence falls over the room while we all watch.

"Boys!" Not even two minutes later, a voice interrupts the movie once again making Reggie groan in frustration. "I finished a song I was working on, I need to know what you guys think."

The familiar voice runs through the air, making me tense up but I can't help but turn my head to the entrance of the TV room, waiting for his figure to appear.

"I was thinking of calling it I Just Wanna Run, but like, that's easy to change if you guys prefer something else." He walks into the room, his eyes completely focused on the song journal in his hands.

"You okay?" I hear Alex whisper into my ear quietly as he runs his hands over my arms comfortingly. All I do is nod, not moving my gaze off of him.

"Mmmh. I really like him." I can tell he wasn't expecting me to say that when his hands stop completely. "I- that's the only thing I really know for certain right now. I miss him."

"Just be careful Tan." He whispers back, our conversation not being heard over the sound of the movie playing.

"Guys? I-" At the lack of response from Alex and Reggie, Luke finally lifts his head, his gaze immediately meeting mine. "Tan?"

"Hey." It's like everything around me blurs out momentarily and all I can focus on is his eyes that remain locked with mine.

"Um Guys, the movie.." Of course Reggie was the one to interrupt, snapping the two of us out of our gaze. I couldn't tell if I was relieved or upset, all I knew was that I needed to speak to Luke, I just didn't know when.

"Oh, yeah of course, sorry for interrupting." He says quietly, closing the journal in his hands. "Mind if I join?"

"If you're also a hopeless romantic, by all means." Ella breaks the tension in the room, bringing Luke's attention onto her. "Ella, by the way."

"Luke, it's nice to meet you." He says smiling at her, nodding slightly before making his way over to the empty spot on the couch next to her and Reggie.

I bite the inside of my cheeks, trying to pay attention to the rest of the movie, but all I could seem to focus on was Luke, who was just a meter away from me.

I couldn't help but notice Ella's cautious expression when she was talking to Luke, but I know if she didn't say something, it would have been really awkward.

Actually, Reggie probably would have said something but that's besides the point.

Eventually, as the movie credits roll down the TV screen, I turn around at the sound of soft snoring underneath me.

I chuckle softly, noticing Alex had fallen asleep at some point in the middle of the movie. I lift my gaze off of Alex, seeing Luke, Reggie and Ella fast asleep on the other couch.

"You'd think they were the ones with jet lag." I giggle softly, carefully unwrapping Alex's arms from around me before making my way into the kitchen.

Figuring the lack of sleep would catch up with me soon enough, I decided to fill my water bottle so I could head upstairs to my room.

The sound of someone entering the kitchen catches me off guard, and as soon as I turn around, I manage to knock my head into right the fridge door.

I groan quietly, stumbling back slightly as I bring my hand up to my head.

"Woah, are you okay?" I bite my lip at the sound of his voice, looking up to see Luke walking closer to me.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I keep my eyes on him, watching as he walks past me towards the deep freeze. I furrow my eyebrows as he looks through the draws searching for something.

"Here, it'll help with the swelling." He says, walking a bit closer to me and holding the ice pack out for me to take. "Learnt that from the best."

I can't help but smile, remembering the last time the two of us were in the kitchen after he hit his head.

"Luke?" He nods hesitantly at the mention of his name, waiting for me to continue. "Thank you." All he does is nod with his bottom lip caught between his teeth.

"Um Tan, do you think we can talk? It's okay if you don't wa-"

"I'd like that."