Chapter 3

Tanna Carson

"Ella is very excited to meet you but she definitely has her doubts with whether I actually know you." I tell Alex as he rests against the headboard on my bed, already dressed. "Apparently you guys are well known around here as well."

"Really?" He asks shocked, but I can see his excitement shining through.

"Yeah, she asked me about the guys and considering I've never really mentioned them to her before, I asked how she knew them. She told me a lot people in London follow you guys on socials. You know, now I'm wondering whether bringing you to the dance is the best idea." I tease him, leaving him in the room while walking into the bathroom.

Alex Mercer's POV

"You asked me to go with you Tan." I shout back in response, knowing she was only kidding.

"I know, wouldn't have asked anyone else." I laugh as her voice echoes from the bathroom with her response.

I lift my phone back up, resuming my pointless scrolling through all my Instagram notifications when my phone rings.

I shake my head with a smile as I accept the call, holding the phone away from my face while I wait for the call to connect.

"You guys missing me already?" I laugh as I see Reggie's face pop up on the screen.

"Too much man." Reggie says teasingly, making me laugh.

"What's up?"

"Luke and I were in the studio, just playing around and we came up with this really cool tune."

"No ways, play it for me."

"Luke." Reggie shouts from the living room and I laugh as I hear Luke screaming back from wherever he is in the house. "Come on man, Alex is on the phone."

I hear footsteps lead closer to the phone before Luke pops his head into the screen next to Reggie.

"Don't you look sharp." Luke winks making me role my eyes as he chuckles.

"Yeah yeah, whatever, I'm going to a dance Luke."

"I didn't say you look bad, quite the opposite actually. I was just teasing buddy." He says flashing his signature smirk across the screen. "Did Reg tell you we ca-"

"I did, now grab your guitar so we can show him."  I chuckle at his impatience as Reggie places his phone on the table before grabbing his base.

Tanna Carson

"What was I going to do?" I whisper to myself as the thoughts vanish from my mind. I can't help but groan in frustration, I knew what I was doing to do two seconds ago but it just slipped my mind as I stand there. "Ohh earrings."

I close the cupboard in the bathroom before walking to the dressing table in my room.

I pick up the pair of earrings off the dresser where I left them and unhook the backs of them.

"Whatcha listening to Al?" I ask, looking into the mirror while I hear music coming out of Alex's phone. "It sounds really good."

"It's the boys. They came up with a killer tune they wanted to show me." I laugh at how they weren't able to even wait a day to show him.

"Is that Tanna?" I smile as I hear my name from Alex's phone.

"Yeah, one second." He says, swiveling around on the bed until we're both visible on the screen.

"Hey Roomie!" Reggie exclaims and the words cause me to squint my eyes at Alex. Luke nudges Reggie, leaving him confused for a second before he realizes his slip up. "Oh, never mind, I said nothing."

I can't help but laugh at the two of them as I shake my head softly.

"Hi boys." I say, closing the second earring before moving to the bed to sit next to Alex.

"Don't you loo-"

"Don't do it reg, I just said that to Alex not even a minute ago." Luke cuts Reggie off, causing him to pout.

I look to the side to see Alex look at me as we both start laughing.

"I was going to say beautiful."

"Sure you were buddy." My laughter dies down at Reggie's words, my cheeks heating up slightly but it went completely unnoticed as the two of them bicker like a married couple in the background.

"Is this what I'm singing up for.?"

"I mean, more so then not." He says chuckling before realization hits him and his eyes widen. "Wait does that mean you're moving in?"

I watch the happiness fill his eyes which makes me smile.

A few days after our FaceTime call, I had finally made my decision and was going to keep it a secret until he came for prom.

I wanted to tell him in person later on in the night, but now works too.

I roll my eyes, releasing a breathy laugh as a smile crosses my face. He watched me quizzically waiting for an actual answer, to which I finally nod my head yes.

"Are you serious?"

"Deadly." Next thing I know, I'm wrapped in his arms and I can't hold back the giggles that leave my mouth.

It's hard having your best friend, the one person you trust with your entire life, live halfway across the world.

Not seeing him for so long definitely took a toll on me, but not as bad as him leaving did.

We practically used to be inseparable when we were younger. Even though we were just kids, we did absolutely everything together, which I guess we can thank our parents for.

Alex was my person and I was his, not that it's changed. It was really difficult for our parents to get us home each night and away from each other.

So many people used to say that you aren't really friends with someone if you don't fight, which I couldn't agree with at the time.

Alex and I barely fought, and when we did, it was mainly because I took a bite of his sandwich and wouldn't share mine, but if sharing a sandwich would get him to stay in London, I would have given him the whole thing.

So you can understand how detrimental it was on us when his dad got a job in Los Angeles and their whole family had to move.

No matter how much I tried to convince both our parents that he could share a room with me and although only ten years old, that I'd look after him, nothing made them budge.

Seeing him drive away from the house for the last time broke me and in later years, sent me down a path that seemed like the only way to deal with it all.

That was now nearing eight years ago and to say that he's visited less than ten times over those eight years wouldn't be an
understatement.

I tried to understand it, it's not like I expected him to come here every month but I was struggling without him the more the years went on.

Now, given the opportunity to actually live with him, I wasn't going to pass that up. He was my lifeline. Scratch that. He is my lifeline.

"Finally." He sighs in relief as I hug him tighter. "I was worried you'd actually choose to stay on campus."

"And stay away from you? I actually wouldn't cope again."

Just as Alex was about to speak, two voices cut him off, making the two of us look around in confusion.

"Wait what's happening?"

"We're still here you know?"

I start laughing, pushing Alex away from me as we realize the boys were still on the call.

"Where'd you even put the phone?" I say through laughter as he pate the bed sheets.

"I don't know, I just drop- never mind I got it." He says picking up the phone with a proud grin. "Good news boys, we've got ourselves a new roommate."