Chapter 42

Apollo POV

I sat and listened to every single word that Rhea told Persephone. Now I know part of why she is so important. Why the Fates wanted her safe. She knows of a possible future, she knows death and she has favour from Chaos himself. She might not see it, but I do.

The moment Poseidon's daughter left on the quest, I was visited by the Moirai: Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos, and was told to come to this coffee shop at this specific time and they said in unison, "You must understand her existence, Phoebus Apollo. And you must protect her from Zeus once she returns the bolt."

Rhea POV

"We are so screwed," muttered Grover, "so screwed."

"I agree with Grover," said Annabeth.

"Why? What's so bad getting help from Persephone?" I ask them.

"The gods always expect something in return. They don't just help us out of the goodness of their hearts," Annabeth said.

Blah, blah, blah. Does she ever stop?

I levitated the water from Grover's glass and splashed both of them with it.

They spluttered, "What was that for?" asked Grover.

"That's for not shutting up. Now if you don't want to get wet again, then I recommend you shut up and accept the help, even if it comes at a price. And it's not like you can just refuse a goddess. It's rude," I replied.

"Fine, but if she vaporises us, then I'm coming back to haunt you," Annabeth said grumpily.

"Great! Then let's go people! Persephone is waiting downstairs for us."

Annabeth and Grover stared at Persephone. And they wouldn't stop staring. I nudged both of them and they looked anywhere else but at her.

"Lady Persephone, Rhea said that you will help us get to the Underworld. I don't want to sound rude or ungrateful but how are we getting there?" Annabeth asked.

Persephone giggled and snapped her fingers, "Like this."

And in a whirlwind of flowers and leaves, we all arrived at front gates of Hades' castle in the Underworld.

"Whoa, what!? We're in the Underworld!" Grover squawked.

"Quiet Grover, we don't want to upset the god of the dead," whispered Annabeth.

"Don't worry guys, Uncle Hades is nice," I tell them with a smile.

They looked at me incredulously, "Nice?" Grover muttered under his breath.

Annabeth POV

We're all going to die. This is so not good. How is it that this quest has gone so smoothly? Why are the gods so involved?

We followed Lady Persephone through the gates and into the deadly, creepy-looking castle. I swear I can hear the screams of the dead all around me.

Grover and I stuck to Rhea like flies on honey. She is handling this much better than expected of anyone entering the Underworld.

I can feel the cold and darkness seeping into my bones and Grover doesn't look like he is faring much better than me. At least Hades has taste in decoration. The inside of the caste isn't as terrifying as the outside. There are actual flower pots with living flowers on them on the hallway tables!

We arrived in a large throne room with the Lord of the dead sitting on his throne.

"Greetings, my love," said Persephone and walked gracefully towards Hades and gave him a kiss.