Chapter 26

Luciano and I have taken to talking more. Not all the time, just regular conversation.
We talk most about food. He is a foodie, just like me.

Of course his favourite is Italian food and I love anything hot and spicy. We both love paella and Thai food. He hates avocado, which I don't understand but he loves coconuts which I told him I cannot stand.

I am sure we have talked for hours on end about our food preferences. The cheese conversation was probably a day long.

It is so strange to think that I am having actual conversations with Luciano. I never thought he and I could actually get along.

But then again, he was always the don. I guess stripped of his title, his personality is starting to show.

"What I would give for a nice tender piece of steak right now." Luciano states as we eat our disgusting pig food. I moan at the memory of Adam and Rosa's filet mignon. Delicious.
"How do you prefer your steak?" I ask even though I remember. "Rare."
"I have never understood that. I do not want to see the blood pouring out of the meat as I try to cut it. You might as well have it raw."

"And let me guess. You overcook it until it is tough and chewy."
"Meat is just better well done." I know a lot of people disagree with this but it is.

"I swear you have the palate of a child."
"And you have the palate of dumb rich people who like whatever they are told to like." I bite back.

"Excuse me for having a sophisticated palate." He tries to argue,
"As sophisticated as early men before they discovered fire."

He smiles at me before we both laugh. I am actually laughing.

"How about sushi? That's raw meat?"
"Raw fish, frozen to kill bacteria and wrapped with warm food. I can live with that."
"It's still raw." He points out.

"Okay, how do you like brisket. Slow cooked for hours until it melts in your mouth. Now that's well done."
"I don't like brisket."
"You don't like brisket?" Who doesn't like briket?
"I'm done with you."

Most of our conversations follow the same line. It is nice. And I think it distracts us from our awful situation. Even just for a little bit.

"Do you think people are still looking for us or you think they've moved on?" I ask today.
"I've been here three years. If anyone was looking for me, I think they've given up."
"Three years?"

He looks at me and I see the absolute misery in his eyes.
This room is slowly draining the life out of him.

"I'm sure they haven't given up on you." I give a small smile. He smiles back.
"I don't even know what I will be going back to. My parents are dead, my brother too. Ophelia..." he trails off and I see the sadness practically swirling around him.

"Who is Ophelia?"
"My girlfriend. She is... she was my whole life."
"Where is she now?" I ask softly.

"She was murdered."
"Was it them?"

"No, it was... it was someone I trusted. He wanted to kill me and she... she was collateral damage."

"That is awful."
"She was my saving grace. Mia tesoro." Stronzo. He actually still loves her.

"She sounds like something special."
"She was."

No. She wasn't.

"What about you? Do you have someone waiting for you back in Brooklyn?"

I shake my head.

"My boss hated me. I had just moved there and was working long hours. Didn't really get to meet anyone."