Bonus Chapter 1

It is time.

As much fun as the past ten years have been, it is finally time to revisit the past. So now here I am.

This room brings back so many memories. It remains untouched by time. I cannot say the same for the man in front of me. No, time has not been kind to him. To be fair, we are the ones who have not been kind to him.

But I think what people often forget is that kindness is a gift, not a given. I do not owe anyone kindness.

Except, maybe my kids even though they piss me off sometimes.

Some people take kindness for granted, believing it to be their right. Once upon a time, he was one of them. Now, I am certain he would welcome any kindness. They say being a mother softens you, so today I am here to offer kindness.

His eyelids begin to flutter and I take a minute to look in the mirror. I have changed, of course, since he last saw me. Matured. My face is more angular with wrinkles beginning to form. My hair is shorter and straightened. I've even put on some weight.
A stark difference to the last time I was on the other side of this mirror.

A grunt pulls my attention back to the man across from me. He is confused at first, but I see the exact minute he recognises me. When those gold eyes meet mine.

"C-c-cara?" His voice is so low and hoarse in contrast to the joyous look in his eyes.

I should probably say something, but I am taking it all in. From my seat across from him, I am in the position of power here.

After years of serving as a slave for his family, months of him controlling me and a few months in this very room where I was completely reliant on him, this is the day he learns his true place.

It is such a strange thing watching the emotions play over his face: joy, love, hope, confusion, understanding, loss, and finally, acceptance.
All in under a minute.

His head drops showing the uneven patches of hair on his head. A few bald spots from him pulling his hair out too.

He then looks back up at me and smiles weakly.

Oh, Luciano.

"Is something funny?" My voice is soft and I can see it spark something within him.

"I understand, mia cara. It's okay; I forgive you." I cannot get over the damage to his voice.

"I asked you a question."

He looks defeated. I recognise the crushing grief in his eyes; that suffocating pain.

"You took a deal with the Greek. You did what you had to." Is that what he thinks happens.
"I'm just glad I got to see you one last time." He smiles sadly and coughs.

How touching.

"Those were the first words you ever said to me." I remember it oh so clearly. The day I was certain I was going to die. The day my story began.

"Cara..."

"I wanted to see you one last time." I tell him and watch his eyes tear up.

"I wanted to see that look in your eyes." He is confused. I might as well do him the kindness of explaining. I am feeling charitable.

"I have seen that look so many times. It is only right that I see it in yours too." I explain.

"Honestly, Luciano, I tried. I tried to find it in my heart to forgive you, I really did. Once when we were engaged, I toyed with the thought that you may not be a bad guy. Then you made me kill a man.
But, hey, who am I to judge? I'm not exactly an innocent. You didn't force me to pull the trigger." At this point I stand up and begin walking around the room.