Chapter 49

Dénia is beautiful. I have been here a few times and love it. Even today as I am sitting in this beautiful restaurant watching traffic on the street below I cannot help but appreciate it here.
The air is crisp with the scent of seafood wafting through it.
And most importantly, I am alone.

I down a few pills before putting the bottle away and ordering an iced tea.
I am a few minutes early, but I do not mind. It gives me a few moments of peace.

The others are shopping in preparation for the mini vacation we have planned. To no one's surprise, Melly and Pam were on board with them joining us, especially since it means we get guaranteed VIP status the entire time. They almost fainted when they saw the private yacht.

The waiter brings my iced tea which I take a sip of.
"Some fries would be appreciated please." He jots it down before walking away.

I could run.
After this meeting I could run off to Bulgaria, or Botswana, or Bolivia. I think I would like having Hades chase me again.
But it's too soon. He is probably expecting it.
I'll wait until he gets comfortable.

The seat across from me scrapes the floor gaining my attention. I wait for her to sit down with my usual passive expression.
Here we go.

"Why am I here?"

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

"You didn't invite me here to answer my questions." No, I did not.

The waiter returns with my fries and asks her if she wants anything which she declines.
I, on the other hand take a few fries.

Not as good as Hades'. He needs to teach me how to make those.

"We cut off the Morellis and I have my sister back. Our business is concluded."

"That it is. And yet you still came."

I watch her intently. She is here because she hopes she can recruit me. Amusing. I do hope she is what I have been looking for.

"The man who bought her never hurt her."

"No, he did not."

"You had him buy her so you could leverage her return for your deal."

"That I did."

"Pretty smart, I'll give you that. I don't understand why you wanted to meet with me though. Alone."

"We both know that you are not alone." She is not that stupid. And the man on the other side of the restaurant is doing a terrible job of blending in. Plus, the mousy waitress keeps looking my way.
I also saw her come out of the passenger seat of the car still waiting down the street.

"The next time the twins or any one of the men your husband employs buys a sex slave, I hope you know it could've been your sister. Some day, it could even be your daughter. Every time you look into their hopeless eyes, remember that that was your sister's fate."
She looks uncomfortable.

"Fourteen percent of your family income comes from the sale of innocent girls, just like your sister. I hope you remember that on your next shopping spree."

"You do not know my life. I am looking out for my family." She spits at me.

"And if I had just been looking out for my family, your sister would be in way worse shape than she is right now." I reply calmly.
"Tell me, have you told her what it is you do? Does she know where the money for that mansion and all those cars and your extensive closet comes from? Did you happen to mention that you launder money for the people that took her?" I take a sip of my drink and watch the guilt settle on her features.