Chapter 9

"Lock the door."

I'm out before she can talk me out of it with only a gun with five bullets. This is suicide. I am aware that this is suicide. I should go right back. But then I think of sweet Isabella, I can't just leave her out there. Not when I know what happens in an attack like this

Things have quietened down slightly which is bad. It means most men are already down and from looking around I can tell it is our men. Bodies filled with bullet holes are scattered everywhere and I could very well be one of them by morning.

No time to dwell on that. She could be anywhere right now. I notice Russo's body down. He was vaguely tolerable, hit us but never raped anyone as far as I know. Truth is he just had a temper problem, I always steered clear of him. Today however, I'm searching him.

He is always carrying at least one fully loaded gun. I quickly crouch down, still taking in my surroundings. The first two guns are empty but then I find one. This should do.

If ever there was a time for luck, this is it. I'm walking in enemy territory; they are in every hallway and room by now. I'm shaking. But I have to do this. For Isa.

I peek into the hallway to find one guy with a gun. His back is to me, perfect. I take the shot and he falls down. Then I scurry over to relieve him of his weapon and finish him. The gunshots will have attracted others. I start searching every room in this hallway but come up empty. Fuck!

I hear a gunshot before feeling a pain in my arm but I do not register it and turn the next hallway. Shit. I fix the machine gun and prepare myself. I should have stayed with the others. This was so stupid. What use am I going to be dead? I hear multiple footsteps and lie in wait. Breathe. Don't forget to breathe.

I see why Emilio always told me to breathe. My lungs are on fire as this basic reflex seems to fail me. Breathe.

Then I am shooting. One of them manages to shoot me in the arm but the bullet grazes me and I send a silent thank you to Emilio. All that training kicked in. I begin my search of the rooms, calling her name in every room once they are done.

I meet a few more of the Cartel but I'm getting better with these guns.

Dammit! Where is she?

My mind starts racing with the possibilities but I refuse to accept them. She is fine. She has to be. She's probably hiding somewhere. All of a sudden I wish I had better prepared her for this. I tried so hard to shield her that I forgot to prepare her. She has no idea what to do in this situation.

A gunshot rings and I turn to see Rafael. "Liza?" I notice movement behind him and shoot an armed man. Don't know if it was friend or foe but right now anyone that isn't Isabella is a foe.

"Thanks." I just nod at him and we keep walking together. Isabella shouldn't be out here. I should have implemented a safety plan for the workers when I still had some power. Instead, I was so focused on myself.

"Watchout!" I throw myself behind a cabinet just as guns sound loudly. Shit! That was close. I owe Rafael one. Rafael is one of the few decent soldiers in the mafia. He was best friends with Antonio at school and the two of them ended up here when one of their friends got in some trouble with a small-time gang.

Raf never hurts any of us. In fact, he protected me at one point when Michael was being a pig. I hope he survives today. But the good ones never do.

I watch as he shoots at the others and sigh. I warned the idiot about the Cartel. He should be here dealing with this shit. He's probably in a safe room somewhere though. Piece of shit.

Miraculously, Raf and I get out unscathed from the shoot-out but I'm losing blood from my first wound. He suddenly stops and picks up an ear piece. I stand watching guard.

"They found boss. They're going to the basement. Let's go." I look at him like he's crazy. Does he really think I'm out here risking my ass for a man with no honour?

"Go be a soldier, Raf."
"What are you... You aren't looking for boss." He realises. He gives me a nod and I break off, continuing on in my search alone.

It is much more terrifying without him.

I'm starting to feel woozy from blood loss when I hear the laughing. I know that laughter.

I can hear them, even if I can't see them. Mama cries out and they laugh harder. Ninety-nine... One hundred... one hundred and one...

That is the laugh of evil men doing vile things.
I couldn't protect mama but I'll be damned if I let them hurt anyone else.

I burst through the door and start shooting immediately. Any man I see.

It's easy enough, most of them have their pants down. I look around and recognise the faces... Marie, Candice, Rita... NO!!!
I feel my heart shatter when I see her. Isabella! I run over to her.

She's completely naked and covered in bruises, blood and semen trailing down her legs, "Isa" the tears force their way out as I hold her, her weak arms holding onto me as she sobs.

I failed her. I failed her. Her sobs are the only thing I hear, tearing at the last of my heart. The last of my sanity. Sweet Isabella. Why? Why you?

I didn't see him until it was too late. It was a blur. I heard the gunshots and was expecting the pain. When I turned around, I saw her. Jessica. Her pain filled eyes met mine before she collapsed, dead.
I stood there frozen...

Jessica.

She came here when I was eleven, I think. She wasn't the nicest. She was angry at the world and took it out on all of us. We didn't get along at all. But then one day she just stopped. Stopped talking, stopped fighting, stopped living.

I don't quite know what they did to her but they killed her. She's been an empty shell ever since. Jessica.

I can't, I can't take it. How many more times will I have to live through this? How many girls am I going to watch fade away into nothing? I can't.

Isabella was the last girl who hadn't been raped. Jessica was the last girl from the old generation.

I can't... I can't do anything.