Chapter 21

"You better have a damn good reason for waking me up at 1 am." Savat groans walking into our lair.
"There's a case of redbulls in the mini fridge. You'll need them." He immediately goes to grab one and gulps it down. "What do you have?" Hades is the one to ask. "I want you to look up any connection between Kyle and the American mafia." Savat looks at me in disbelief and I feel for him. A search like that can take days.

"He was not working with the Americans." I turn my attention to Hades and hand over the file I was just reading.
"His father worked for the Reibon Scentire in college. Only he couldn't have. That bank only had one branch in San Fransisco. Peter went to college in New York."
"So he lied on his resume?" Hades asks,
"Or, he was covering where his money came from. Reibon Scentire was the mafia's largest money laundering business at the time. Stupid really. The feds caught on quickly and the bank shut down only six years after it opened. Paying mafia men from legitimate businesses where they are listed as workers protects them. It's not unlike your system." I explain.

"They created the ultimate spy. A child." Hades catches on. "But, they failed. He decided to play both sides. If he failed at everything, he had no position, so they did not expect anything from him. He made sure he had the protection of two mafias." Scheming brat. I would have done the same.

"Fucking asshole." Hades speaks up. "It makes sense now." I have no idea what he is going on about. "He must have sought help from the Americans and his father to disappear after he fell out with you. We need to find that connection." Savat is already typing away vigorously.
"Demi knows how the Americans operate; she can help." Why does she know that? I really do not know much about these people. That has to change.

"Helen. You should probably head to sleep. Not much we can do now." He's right, I know he's right. But I'm still anxious. I need to check on my contacts in the states.
"You have been at this all day. Take a break. Come back with a fresh mind tomorrow." His reminder falls on deaf ears as I start looking for the divorce papers.

"Don't even bother. She's deep in the rabbit hole now. She'll probably pass out here." Savat tells Hades without pausing his typing.
"Well then pass me a Redbull." Is he planning on staying here too? Makes sense. You don't want to leave a schemer and a hacker alone in your lair. Is this even their lair or is it a meeting room they let us use?
He's keeping an eye on us.

Doesn't matter, I'm here to do my job.

¤

"You all look like utter crap." Andy comments walking in. I fell asleep sometime around 4 and woke up at 7, took a quick shower, then came right back. Unfortunately, there isn't much left for me to do. Savat and Demi are looking for connections and Hades has been up all night helping.

"I still look better than you." Hades comments leaning back. "You fucking wish."
These two amuse me with their childish antics. It's almost cute.
"Delphine and I are going mainland. Anyone need anything?" She continues. "I'm good." Demi announces without looking up from her computer, "Me too." Savat adds. "My list is on the cloud. Most of them a pre-ordered though." Hades tells her.
"Alright, do not do anything stupid while I am gone." With that, she's gone.

My stomach clenches in pain not long after. "Imma go find some food. Do any of you want anything?" Demi and Savat shake their head while Hades stands up, "I shall come with." He is aware that he cannot follow me everywhere, right? But I do not say anything as we walk towards the kitchen.

A short, dark-skinned woman I do not recognise is conversing with Rosa as she is cutting fruit. She smiles brightly at Hades when she notices us. "Hey, stranger." Is that a Caribbean accent?
"Morning guys." He groans back heading toward the pastry rack.
"You look rough." She comments looking worried, "Long night. Yaya, this is Helen." Her attention falls on to me with a large smile, "Helen, this is Nic's wife, Yaya." Oh, so this is Nic's wife? She looks different in real life, even more beautiful.

"When was the last time you ate?" Uhmm, invasive much? "Dinner on Monday."
"Hades, why you working the girl so hard? You ain't even feeding the poor thing? What is wrong with you?" It's funny watching this big, dangerous man being scolded by this tiny pre-school teacher.
"I am not the one keeping her in there." He defends grabbing a cinnamon bun, earning a glare from Rosa.
"Let me make you a plate." Rosa says and I thank her. Nice of her to offer.
"I do not want to see either of you working today. I'll send Niccy to take over; you two are taking a break today."
"Works for me. Tell Miss Workaholic over there."
"I am not a workaholic." I defend, I hate working. "You refused to leave last night. She ended up falling asleep over the table. Your drool is all over Peter's travel records." I was drooling in front of him. I internally groan. So much for being hot and mysterious. What's next? Am I going to pick my nose?

"No work today. Either of you." Yaya repeats sternly.
"Yes, ma'am." There isn't anything for me to do until they find something a anyway.
"You should hang out by the pool. Put your feet up. I'll bring your breakfast." Rosa adds. Sounds good to me.
I decide to change clothes and slip into my swimsuit before making my way out back where I find a breakfast spread waiting for me. Rosa and Yaya are lounging in the pool already. They're fast.

¤

"You are so gorgeous, it's crazy." Rosa compliments me. After breakfast, I removed my cover-up and shorts, and have been sunbathing in my one-piece.
"Thank you. Validation. Everyone here looks like they're Greek gods and goddesses." It is uncanny.
"That's just money, babe." Yaya laughs, "Not that I'm complaining." We all laugh.
I end up spending my entire morning with the girls by the pool. It is actually fun. Rosa is one of the kindest people I have ever met with a zest for life and passionate attitude. Ayanna reminds me of Gigi; always taking care of everybody.
These girls are not technically mafia, more mafia associated, but they were still probing. I allowed only the bare minimum on my life and always redirected to something else. Something I have gotten very good at over the years.

I do not see Hades until he has approached the group.
WOW. Just Wow. Dios mios, this man is perfect. I am looking for a single flaw but I am not finding one. I count eight packs and a V-line that has my mouth feeling dry. Smooth olive skin covering hard taut muscles. And only one tattoo; the Leos family crest over his left pec, right over his heart.

I wouldn't mind running my tongue all over him.

Especially the covered parts.

Shit, professionalism. I'm working for him. And a bunch of other reasons I can't think of at the moment.

Unfortunately, I make the mistake of looking up at his face. Dark grey eyes scalding me with their intensity, mirroring the lust and turmoil I am feeling. I don't think I have ever seen a hotter sight.

Then he smirks.

I am done for.

-----------------------------
😉