Chapter 39

To say I am pissed is an understatement.

I am going to kill him.

After finally striking a deal with the Spanish and ditching their bugs and tails, I finally make my way back home exhausted and looking forward to getting some well-deserved rest.

Only to find an empty apartment.

Melly and Pam are nowhere in sight.
Fucker even took my phones so I can't talk to Savat.
When I went for my secret hidden burners and gun, all I found was a note:

"Found you.
And a few friends.
Your turn, Helena.
Come and find me."

Fucking jackass.
He is dead when I find him.

I had to book a ticket. Instead of booking one to our safehouse, that Demi could track, I book a flight to Milan.

I sm certain Hades overheard the Italian foster kid backstory so it would make the most sense.
And I know Savat can track my passport to find me.

So here I am, reclining in a first-class chair next to the funniest older gentleman.
I had planned on sleeping through the flight but Mr. Cruz is a delight.

He has told me all about his family, including his wife of forty-one years, three kids and one adorable granddaughter. Complete with pictures.

I was suspicious, of course, who in this day and age is that friendly? Especially in first class.
And while I am still cautious, I might as well enjoy his anecdotes. His oldest son sounds like a lot of fun.

I am feeling considerably less murderous once I land.

A chauffer is there to take me to a hotel with a new laptop and four phones.
He also booked me a full spa day.

I swear Savat is a godsend.

And I am certain it is him. He referenced a classical inside joke in my new name.

¤¤

I was feeling so much better. Like, a lot better. After a good night's sleep and an entire day of being pampered, I felt human again.
I even woke up in a good mood today.

I should have known it was all going to go to hell.

Hades, bastard that he is, not only has Melly and Pam, he also got to Susanna before we could.

As if that wasn't bad enough, Savat found where they all are; The Morelli Mansion.

It looks like I'm going back to where it all began.

Fuck my life.

I have no idea what Hades and Andy are up to which is disconcerting to say the least.
But I have to keep a clear mind.

Best case scenario, Hades is just toying with me and will hand them over.
But I hardly ever get a best case scenario.
More likely, Hades tortured them for information and is going to kill them.
The question is why?

Lucky for me, I have a nine hour drive to figure it out.

¤¤¤

Driving up to the familiar grand black gates, I am beginning to feel nervous.

Why did I ever allow Melly and Pam to join me?
Melly's Siren file shows she is awful at hand to hand combat and only mediocre with weapons.
But at least she has some training, Pam is a suburban mom.
Shit, her family is waiting for her. Fanculo!

This is why I work alone.

A security guard walks over to me. I can tell by his gait that he is former military.