Chapter 1

Death has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. It comes with the territory. I've never given much thought to how I would die, but this feels right. Just much sooner than I thought it would be. I knew my actions would land me here but I have zero regrets. I'd do it again if I could.

I'm currently sitting in the basement cellars waiting for the Don to come end me. I know it won't be a quick death, but I am ready to leave this world behind. Is this how mama felt? Maybe I'll get the chance to ask her soon. I doubt. Mama was an angel, I'm going straight to hell.
I see his face again, that pig. I'll never forget the shock in his eyes when he saw me, when he realised what was happening. When I saw the fear in his eyes. It was worth everything I'll have to endure.

Honestly, I'm grateful. I refuse to be just another cleaner. I've spent my whole life surrounded by these monsters. They took everyone from me. Aunt Shakira died during an attack seven years ago. The bosses scurry off to their hideouts while the soldiers fight, nobody cares what happens to us. The soldiers are given 'family' burials, while our dead are burned in a heap. Aunt Crystal committed suicide soon after. No one really knows what it was that finally drove her to it. Sandra was killed. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was killed for it. Selena died the same way my mama did; raped and left for dead.

I was careful. I kept my head down and did my job. I did everything mama and Aunt Shakira told me; I even have a fat suit to soften the blows and make myself less appealing to them. Caroline bought it for me. She is one of the lucky ones; a personal maid to Antonio. He treats her better than most. I chop off my hair and use makeup to make myself as plain as possible. Aunt Crystal showed me how. I also wear the brown contacts mama made me wear since I was five. I did everything not to attract any attention to myself. Yet here I am. I only have one alternative and it's not a particularly pleasant choice. The plan isn't even full proof, but it's all I have.

My thoughts are interrupted by the door opening and footsteps coming my way. Sounds like four, maybe five men. My heart beats erratically as I know my time might be up. All those years of being an obedient servant for nothing. If I'm going down, it'll be on my terms. I'm done being invisible. I have a few cards of my own.

The cellar doors opened and I heard them come in. The door was closed behind him and I knew I might never leave here again.

"Explain to me how a rat was able to infiltrate us so easily." I heard a deep voice saying.

Is that what they think? That I'm a rat? I involuntarily let out a chuckle. Two men grab my arms and hoist me up to face the boss. What I love about the fat suit is that I barely feel the punches. It was one of my smarter ideas.

I look up to face Luciano Morelli himself. I've worked for him and his father since I could walk but it's probably his first time seeing me. I was that good at being invisible. Him on the other hand, he stands out. Standing at an impressive 6' 2", with a defined, muscular body and a face that makes girls go crazy, he is hard to miss. Sadly, in order to remain invisible, I never get a good look at anyone. Today is my first chance to really look at him. He does not disappoint.

His eyes look like liquid gold, which just so happens to be my favourite colour. They are framed by long dark lashes that would make Aunt Crystal jealous. His brows are surprisingly perfect, does he get them done? Imagine the boss of the Italian Mafia getting his brows trimmed.

"Something funny?" His voice is actually smooth and commanding. I continue to just stare at him silently; he has nice lips. His fist connects with my cheek and I hold back my tears. Fuck, that hurt. Damn.
"I asked you a question." Is this it? I was expecting so much worse, I've been punched all my life.
"Who do you work for?" He asks menacingly.
"The Morelli family." I answer looking straight in his eyes.

Apparently, that was the wrong answer since it earned me a slap by one of the guards. What is this, an interrogation or a cat fight?

"Explain, how I can be a rat? I've not stepped foot outside this compound. I have no phone or radio or anything. And why would a rat kill your general instead of you?" I reason.

"You tell me." I scoff at his response.
"Don't be so paranoid. What happened tonight was between Michael and I." The guard behind him's reaction is amazing. I guess he's never heard that one before.

"Maybe, but you still killed one of my men." He says,
"We give you a job, a home, and this is how you repay us? By killing one of our own?"
I watch as the guard gives him an electric prod. I laugh at what he said though. A job? This is enslavement.

"Why did you do it?" he asks, I smile, maybe this can work.

"Answer me." He demands in a bone chilling voice. But I steel my spine.

"Why? My answer doesn't change my fate." I reply searching his eyes.
"Yes, it does. It determines how much this will hurt." I eye the prod carefully. Definitely don't want to take that route.

"I have a proposition for you." The words are out before I can think it over. Am I really going to do this? What other choice do I have? This is my hail Mary.

"Word is, your father wants you to settle down and get married." I guess I'm doing this. He breaks out laughing. I'd laugh too.
"And you think I'd want to marry you?" His tone is mocking and I want to set him on fire. But this is survival.

"Yes." I answer him with a straight face.
"You kill one of my men and expect me to marry you?" He huffs out,
"Trust me, I did you a favour with that one. He was stealing from you. Thought you were too dumb to notice and too weak to do anything about it. Now that I think about it, you didn't notice though." His eyes turned cold and I notice his muscles tense.

"And why would I believe you?" He asks putting the prod down. Thank God.

"You must have noticed someone was stealing from you. Small amounts at a time." His face reveals nothing and I silently curse,
"He was working with two others. They only stole cash then they'd launder the money at Earnie's. Get Earnie to show you CCTV of the days after the cash was stolen. They were smart about it. Earnie knew they were your guys so didn't ask questions and they got fresh clean bills they deposited in some foreign accounts." Being invisible has its perks, the damn idiots never even saw me when they'd talk about it.

The truth is, in a place like this, it's us workers who truly know everything that's going on. We hear things, we see things. And more importantly, we talk. I've made it a point to know everything that goes on here for this very moment. Luciano's eyes are sceptical, I need to close the deal.

"He got sloppy on the fourth. Security cameras will show him with a small bag of cash in the east wing training room." I finish praying it's enough. This is a gamble, but I have to see it through.

"If you're lying, I will personally make the rest of your very short life hell." He snarls close to my face. He smells good.

The guards throw me back down and they all exit the room leaving me to the deafening silence. Phase 1 done. Now for phase 2.

------------------------------------------------------

What do you think Phase 2 is?