Chapter 16

"I am afraid I still have some work to do." He tells me checking the time, "Perhaps we can discuss this over dinner. The Enchantress. Eight o'clock." I am so surprised, I do not even register him leave.
Help him find someone?
And did he ask me on a date or a business meeting?

Hades is certainly interesting.

I guess I should be honoured he is finding the time for me while exterminating the roaches.

But I am cautious. The ghost assassinated Oblonsky, and he was a fucking ghost himself. He was the definition of paranoid; no one could even lay eyes on him. Including his own men. How could the man that found and killed him need my help? Is this a trap?

I dress up and hit the streets of this beautiful city. My favourite part about my job is travelling and I have never been here before. I love speaking with locals and immersing myself in the culture of every new location. It is a great big world we live in, brimming with diversity. There is always a lot to learn and I love soaking it all in.

Somehow, I find myself outside of The Enchantress. Looks like a fancy restaurant. I walk in and speak with the hostess. Turns out, the restaurant books weeks in advance. Damn, I'll have to find a different place. But how will I tell him, he didn't leave a number or anything.
"Excuse me, Miss Dawson. Any relation to a Mr. Jack Dawson?" Jack Dawson? That sly bastard. "Yes, my husband." I lie. Fortunately, I wear a ring when I am out to deter interested men. "He already made a reservation for tonight at eight."
What? But the restaurant just opened.

Son of a bitch.

I spend the rest of the day gathering intel from locals as subtly as I can before texting Savat everything.
I am back in my hotel room by five and start preparing for my dinner.
I'm sure Hades will look as sexy as ever so I have to bring my A-game.
I am ready by 7:20 and make my way to the restaurant. Traffic is not awful so I make it at 7:55.

Never be late.

Punctuality is important in our business. I do not work with people who do not respect my time.
But, of course, there he is in a dark suit, making me re-evaluate my life decisions.

Dio save me.

"You look sensational." Are his first words and I want to celebrate. "You look rather sexy yourself." I can tell he enjoys my candour. Good.
"I had to step it up if I was going to be seen with you." True, but it feels insincere.

We order our wine then stare at each other. We are both sizing each other up, trying to read the other's intentions.
"So, Mr. Dawson, why are we here tonight?" I might as well get this started.
"I am very interested in you." I am slightly taken aback by his forward answer. "But most importantly, I believe we can help each other."
"And how can you help me?" I already have what I want from him.
"Luciano Morelli." That has my attention. "He found himself in a boating accident that washed him up on our shores. I may have him locked up somewhere." He has Luciano??

"Everyone knows Luciano Morelli died in that big explosion." I point out. "And the well-informed know he tried to rally allies three years ago to reclaim his mafia."
How does he even know I have business with Luciano? Fuck, he's good.
"Theoretically, what would it take for him to be released from your prison?" I have to be careful, "That is not happening." I am even more confused now.

The waiter comes and takes our orders. I notice Hades is curt, but not rude. The rest of dinner will reveal more.

"That is a lovely necklace."
My hand goes to the small heart. "Thank you." Why is he pointing it out? Has he noticed me wearing it often?
"I love your watch." He is always wearing that gorgeous silver timepiece. Custom made Rolex. Now that is rare. And yes, I looked into his fucking watch.

"A gift from my father." He tells me. Why so upfront? I never asked. "I take it you are close with him?" Now, I'm fishing. "Yes. What about you? Are you close with your family?" Ah, he was leading us here.
"I was close with my mother."
"Was?"
"She died." "My condolences."
I am actually happy for the distraction our starters give.
Who is reading who here?

We eat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before someone chokes. "Help! Is there a doctor here?" The woman with him yells frantically.
Hades smiles before looking at me.
"Very clever, omorfi." Dammit! I wish I knew Greek. However, someone else goes to assist him.

"I must say, you are impressive, Dr. Leos." I tell him. "Not a medical doctor. Just have the degree." He points out unnecessarily, "True, but you are a PhD. Interesting doctoral thesis, by the way."
"Thank you."
We finish our starters in silence and our mains are brought almost instantly. I love VIP service.

"So, tell me, what is your quarrel with the Albanians?"
"What is your quarrel with Luciano?"
"He tried to conduct his business in my country." Valid.
"Don't you mean your sister's country? She is the boss." He smiles at me. Interesting reaction. "Do you play chess?" Why is that important? "A little."

"Andy loved it since we were children. I used the pieces as targets in practice." Ah. He is starting to make sense now. "I was raised by a dangerous woman. Grew up with another. Why do we not skip the games?"
"Now where's the fun in that?" I finally meet a challenge.

"I can give you access to Luciano. Whenever you want. But he never leaves our prison." Hmm. I can work with that.
"And what would you like in return?" I know we touched on it, but I need details.
"One man."
"Do you have a name or picture?"
"Yes."
"Is he on the run?" That usually makes finding them harder.
He nods taking a sip of his wine. Fabulous bottle.
"What did he do?"
"Not your concern." I know he's right but I am beyond curious. I never hire out my services for this exact reason.

But then again, he is being great about the issue with the Albanians.

"If you do this, we may be swayed to partner with Antonio."
Oh, he is very good.

"I work alone."
"Lie to me again and there will be nothing left of you to bury." Shit. I think my underwear is ruined. Something is wrong with me. He just threatened my life, and I know he is serious. Why is that turning me on?

"I mean, you do not interfere." I clarify.
"That does not work. You work with me."
"Don't you have better things to do?" He's a mafia assassin and an heir to the largest empire in Greece. Shouldn't he be busy?
"Not at the moment, no." Damn him.

"Besides. Your usual guy is out sick." Damn him. He's got me there.
"If we do this, I am in charge. I am your boss. You listen to me."
"No." Is he serious?
"Then I'm out." Either he wants my help or he doesn't.

We are silent as the waitress takes our place and another fills our glasses. He accidentally pours some on Hades and pales.
"Leave." That commanding tone has me about to piss myself, I can't imagine the poor boy. The other waitress tries to dab his suit jacket with a napkin, but he dismisses her as well.

He didn't yell at the boy or stare at her huge knockers. Does he know I am testing him?

"We work together. Partners or nothing." Partnership?
I know I should say no. Most men do not understand the meaning of the word. But he seems different. This will be give me an in with the greek. No one has an in with them.

"Deal."

Shit, I already regret it.