Chapter 3

Malorie isn't someone I am particularly fond of. She has been working here for two years and thinks she is untouchable. The girl is rude to everyone that isn't a higher up. Her father is the second of the American mafia but she doesn't even know how to hold a gun. All she does is shop until she drops.

Do not get me wrong, she has great style. Right now, she s wearing a form-fitting crimson dress with a modest neckline. She accessorised with a black belt at her waist and black pumps. Her makeup looks like it was done by a professional and her caramel hair is in a professional high pony tail.

I still don't like her.

"He'll never love you, you know. He's still going to bring his whores here and parade them in front of you." I keep quiet. Everyone knows Luciano regularly spends the night with her. She's like his back up. But she's desperately in love with him. Poor girl tortures herself hoping he'll one day reciprocate. It's sad.

I'm trying on a black dress right now. Did she purposefully bring me hideous clothes? But it is okay. They suit my purposes so I pretend to love them. She shakes her head at me, probably thinking I'm some naive simpleton. That's exactly what I want everyone to think.

She finally leaves after more comments to get me to back out of this. I worked too hard to get here, puta. I don't scare that easily. I look at my reflection in the mirror. Sometimes I forget what I look like. Under the fat suit and the makeup. I don't even remember my real eye colour. But there're cameras everywhere, I can't take off my contacts.

I lie back on the fluffy bed and reflect. After all those nights sleeping in the closet or under mama's bed, here I am. On the third floor. Wearing Versace at that. I could get used to this life, however temporary it is. Being in the one percent suits me splendidly.

¤

"Do not speak unless spoken to. Do not look either of them in the eye. Do not laugh or react to any of the conversation. You are a doll. Eat like a lady and focus solely on your food." Luciano drones on as we walk to the dining room where his parents are waiting. I roll my eyes at his instructions; I know all of this. He needs to calm down.

We enter through the double doors to find an extravagant dinner awaiting us. My mouth fills with saliva as I take in the feast before us. Then dries up when my eyes land on the couple waiting for us. Leonardo and Susanna Morelli.

They look amazing for their age. Especially Susanna. Leonardo is about an inch shorter than his son with a few wrinkles and a dusting of silver in his hair. Susanna is still hot, with barely any wrinkles. They both have an aura of power and respect around them. But I don't like them. Luciano may have a temper, but these two are cruelty itself. Especially Susanna. She is a conniving bitch. Even so, game recognises game. It takes one hell of a woman to make it from whore to Queen. A position she actually stole from the previous queen. I understand her hustle and I respect her drive. But I still hate the bitch.

"Father, mother, this is my fiancée, Liza." Such a ridiculous name. But it suits my purposes.
"Sit down, boy. You kept us waiting." Nice to meet you too.

I listen intently as conversation goes from relatives to the wedding. They are actively avoiding talking about business in front of me. Neither Leo nor Sue like me very much but this roast lamb more than makes up for it. The wine is also superb. Once again, I could get used to this life.

Dinner ends without me saying a word. The wedding date has been set for six months from now and Susanna will be doing all of the planning. Less work for me. Although, I suspect they are planning to be rid of me by then. Good luck with that.

Phase 3 is done. Much sooner than I expected. Everyone will know I am the next queen by morning. Meaning the scheming and plotting is about to start. If only they knew, they are monkeys trying to play at a game of chess.

I will be keeping an eye out for Susanna though. She is the real threat. Leonardo doesn't have the tact for this. Susanna is clever and holds more power than the others. Fortunately for me, her personal maid can't keep her mouth shut after a few drinks and I have friends in Sicily.

¤

"I am leaving for America tomorrow." Luciano tells me over dinner. These dinners have become the only time we see each other twice a week. Other than that, we keep our distance. It has only been two weeks since the dinner and the plotting has started. But I have been preparing for this for too long to lose at phase 4.

"Did you hear me?" Of course I heard you. In fact, I planned it like this. The Cartel is giving the Americans trouble so they called for his help. He will be taking half of the soldiers around the house meaning security will be laxer around here for the next month or so. Perfect.

"I heard you." I answer him focusing on my food. "We could at least try to be friends Liza." He sighs out.
"It's just us here." Of course he'd say that, completely overlooking the maids serving us our food. I look over at them to let them know I recognise their presence and Wendy smiles back at me.

"Alright, Luciano. Does this mean you want my opinion?"

"Yes."

"Your alliance with the Americans is idiotic." I tell him casually.

"What do you know about alliances?" I scoff at his arrogance. Didn't he ask for my opinion?

"I know that the Americans have been at war with the Cartel for generations. Miguel is different from the old leaders, he is smarter. The Cartel has taken over most of South America, they have more manpower and gunpower than you and the Americans combined. The Americans are too proud to see it, but they've already been beat." I take a sip of wine before I continue.
"The last time you went out, you lost more than half your men. This time will be worse." I remind him.

"So, what do you recommend?" Smart boy.

"The Russians hate the Americans. But you can strike a deal with them. Not an alliance, but a onetime only partnership. They'll play hardball but they want the Cartel gone too."

He thought about it for a minute. "Cain will never agree to it." He let out,
"Hence my comment about the alliance being idiotic." I point out.

"It doesn't seem like you have a solution." He growls out.
I resist the urge to roll my eyes,
"I never claimed to."

"Come now. Now is the perfect time to prove your worth."
I hear the threat behind his words clearly.

I take a deep breath trying to rein in my temper, phase 4 is more trying than I expected. He keeps testing me in different ways. Last week I had to shoot an enemy to prove my loyalty. Now he's asking for tactical advice.

"The Greek." An emotion I do not recognise on him flickers by. Was that... fear?

"There are no Greek." He spits out at me. That was definitely fear.

"We both know there is a Greek mafia. They just choose to remain in the shadows." I take a sip of my wine watching him closely. He's flustered

"I'll be gone for a month." He informs me before a comfortable silence presides over us. He may be impressed with me, but he'll never listen. Stubborn man will never take a cleaner's advice on anything. And he still doesn't trust me.

Truth be told, I've always wondered about the Greek mafia. Rumour has it they were small and insignificant. However, I overheard the Russians talking two years ago and it seems the Greek are cunning with money to burn.

"You'll be allowed to rule the house, with Gianni's oversight. Try not to burn the house down while I'm gone." He says then stands up and leaves.
Yes!! I know this is another test but still, I get a taste of power.

Then again, Gianni isn't my biggest fan. He's been asking about me and trying to dig into my past. Good luck with that, big guy. I don't exist.

I have one month. Here's to Phase 4.