Chapter 4

I've never been big on flowers. They are basically plant sex organs. Why people are obsessed with them, I'll never know. The garden in front of the mansion has so many different colourful flowers. I wonder how we don't have a bee problem.

I'm currently standing in the garden watching the younger workers playing. Their melodious laughter and joyous faces are relaxing. And I need relaxing after the day I've had. Gianni is driving me crazy. He has been fighting me on everything, just because he can. So now, I'm done asking for his permission. I called every worker under eighteen for a game of hide and seek in the garden. Most of these kids are not here by choice. But they still slave away without so much as a break. They needed this. I know I needed it when I was their age.

My eyes scan for Isabella. She's one of the girls I couldn't help but get attached to. Her parents took out a loan they couldn't repay so now she has to work it off. She's only seventeen and has been here just over a year. She's the only one left.

Regina comes out and stands next to me. She is one of the oldest maids here and has a heart of gold.
"The crown suits you." She remarks handing me a cup of tea.
"Please. I have no real power here. This is a tiara at best." I grumble

"You are still a stubborn little girl." She scolds me.
"No man can give you a crown. You have to be born to wear it." The tea burns my throat as I take in what she says.

"Your mama was an angel. Far too good for this world." That's what I always said.
"You are no angel." I turn to see her looking at me.
"You are a queen, little one."
Sometimes I think of Gigi as a grandmother to me. She knows me better than any of the other women here. She's the only one left who even knows my story. Well, Jessica might, but Jessica has been mute for years and now just keeps to herself. They broke her a long time ago.

"Fix your crown, baby girl. Wear it with pride." A tear manages to slip out at my mama's words. "Now is not the time for tears, little one." She tells me
"You'll smudge your makeup." I smile along with her and finish my tea.

"Watch them." I command turning to go back in the house. Luciano has been gone for three days and I've done nothing but fight Gianni over going out or my responsibilities. I have to make do with what I have. It's a lot more than I've ever had before.

I make my way to the kitchen and look for Pamela. Pamela and I have been friends for a year now. She is one of the toughest girls I know. I find her kneading bread near the back.

"Rachel! Take over for me!" She instructs when she sees me coming.
I smile at her demanding attitude. You'd think she was in charge or held any type of position when in reality she was a no one.

"I was wondering when you'd come find me." I follow her as she goes to wash her hands. A lot of eyes are on us but I ignore them.

"What do you want?" She asks me as I lead her out back.

"Someone tried to poison me today. Some girl I didn't recognise brought me lunch. I gave it to Mario and he's dead now." I tell her.

"Good riddance." Pamela smiled. I knew they'd try to poison my food so Pamela makes my food and gives it to Melly. I don't eat or drink anything not from one of them.

Mario is one of the old school soldiers who beat and rape the workers. He almost ended Caroline not too long ago. Pam and I had to take turns nursing her back to health. He was high on my revenge list.

"I need to know who did it."

"I'll see what I can find out." She agrees then makes her way back into the house.

I walk over to the gun range. I recognise one of the men there as one of Luciano's generals, Emilio. He's a decent human being and a good general, he'll do fine.

"Can I help you?" His voice is hard but I don't take it personally. No one likes me.

"I want to learn to shoot a gun." I don't have time to beat about the bush, "You are one of our best shots. Can you teach me?" He's both shocked and suspicious.

"Why?" He finally asks,
"I'm to be Luciano's wife. That isn't the safest position." I point out growing impatient.

"Yes, ma'am." He agrees and I smile at the sound of that.

"Every morning at ten. I'll meet you here." I smile then walk back to the house.

There are very few rooms in the mansion that are off limits to everyone and have no cameras. Luciano's gym is one of them. I convinced Gianni to let me use it, after a lot of arguing. I played the sad fat girl card and he eventually buckled.

The security cameras outside the gym mean I can't go in there with anyone. But I prefer to train alone. As much as I hate to admit it, my body is weak. I'm only 5' 6" and a bit underweight. Blame too little food my whole life and a job that keeps me active. I plan on getting stronger this month. Phase 6 needs me to be in good shape.

I take off the fat suit and work out for three straight hours. I only stop when I feel my muscles about to give out and my muscles on fire. I take a shower then put on my other fat suit and more hideous clothes before returning to my room.

Melly brings my food and a note from Pamela soon after.

Malorie.

So the bitch decided to make a move against me. Interesting. I thought it would be Susanna who'd make the first move. I enjoy my steak and potato salad with some wine while watching Grey's Anatomy.

I have never watched tv before so when I got my own Netflix account, I decided to watch all the shows I'd heard about over the years. Starting with Grey's. I'm starting season 2 and so far, I love Christina Yang. Meredith has too many emotions for me.

Melly came to get my plate at the end of the episode.
"I told you you'd love it." She smiles noticing what I'm watching.
"You are such a Yang."
"Why, thank you."

I increase the volume to drown out our conversation. "Malorie got Derek on her side. The girl was his bitch, Kelsey." She tells me.
"What would I do without you?"
"Die." I hold back a smile since Gianni watches me like a hawk. He spends two hours every night watching footage of me.

"Anything else?"
"Yes, you've developed an alcohol problem."

The mischievous glint in her eyes tells me she swiped a wine bottle in my name.

"You and Pam only get two bottles a week. And none of the top shelf stuff." She smiles and takes my plate. Melly's worked as a maid here since her parents kicked her out at 17. She saw a help wanted ad and had no idea what she was signing herself up for. She takes it all like a champ though. Five years later and she's still here.

Maybe she won't meet the same end as the others.