Chapter 25

Luciano Morelli.

It is funny how life works. Just over four years ago, I was his prisoner. I was sat in a god-awful filthy dungeon waiting for him to come and kill me.
Back then, I had nothing, I was no one. My life had been nothing but dreary, painful survival. And the only thing that kept me going was the desire to protect just one little girl.
Isabella.

I reach for my necklace, but there is nothing there. Damn it. They took my necklace! They crossed the fucking line!

It was the only thing I have of hers. It's not like I have anything of mama's. All I have are memories... Memories of a shell of a woman who was destroyed by the fucking Morellis.
I can barely recall the happy memories. They took that from me. They took away my chance at a normal childhood.

They will pay.

Zozo is dead. I buried him myself.
I gave him a fast death, painless. He is the only one of them who deserved it.

Their father took the coward's way out and killed himself. Luciano and his mama are mine.

"Who are you?" He has the audacity to ask me. I bury my hatred and school my features before looking back at him. Only I do not say anything.

"It gets lonely in here." His words surprise me. Is this THE Luciano Morelli? Admitting to being lonely? "You can't hear anything outside this room. You don't even see another human being." That sounds like mental torture, "Just... just talk to me."

That would be too easy.
I am not helping the bastard. Not now anyway.

Instead I sit, in total silence, wrapping my arms around my knees.

I only try to move when food is pushed through, a doggy door?? How did I not notice that before.
Two plates of what looks like oatmeal with two giant glasses of water.

Luciano stands and walks over to retrieve his bowl. I try to do the same, but my restraints don't let me. I have hardly walked two steps when the shackles hold me back. I cannot reach the food. Dammit.

Luciano laughs.

"Well, well, well. Looks like you need me." What did he say? I do not need him. I will starve to death before I ask him for help.

"How about we make a deal? I'll give you the food, all you have to do is tell me your name."

Yeah, right. As if I would ever make a deal with him again.
I sit back down, ignoring my rumbling stomach.

This goes on for four more feedings. Every time he tries to leverage food in order for me to talk to him, instead I sit suffering in silence.
Sleep works fine.

Which is why I am surprised when I find a plate next to me when I wake up. I look around and Luciano is silently eating his food. Did he relent and get my plate for me? That was sooner than I expected.

I slowly eat my food, making sure to take small, hesitant mouthfuls. The water I lap at thirstily.

This becomes our ritual, he gets my food for me and we eat in silence. After we are done, he pushes the trays out the door. He occassionally still talks to me sometimes, but I bite my tongue.

¤

"This is not fair." I finally say. He looks surprised I am talking.
"I was an assistant, you know. After years of having a crappy life, I was finally living a decent life. I was happy." All technically true.
"What happened?"
"How do I know you won't rat me out? Or that you aren't even one of them undercover or something?" I shake my head nervously before keeping quiet again.
"I'm not one of them." Oh, I know.

I cannot believe he does not at least recognise my voice. But then again, he has probaly never even thought about me.

I am silent again for two more feedings.

"Can you at least tell me what year it is?" He sounds so broken. Does he really not even know the year?
"Twenty seventeen." He nods solemnly before going back to staring into space.

"Why do they keep us here? Why don't they just kill us if they're going to kill us. I am so tired of this."
He does not reply, he just looks empathetic.

"I want to go home." A tear falls down my cheek despite my dehydrated state.
The art of crocodile tears is very helpful.

"Tell me about it." I look back at him, "About your home."

"It was one of the nicer Brooklyn apartments. Not too big, but the neighbourhood was good and it was clean, you know. It was mine." I really did like that apartment.

"There was a small cafè the next block that opened at seven so I could grab breakfast on my way to work. They made the best Danishes. I must have gained ten pounds when I first moved there." I know I was there on a job, but I really did like it there.
"And there was a Thai food place five minutes away and a pizza place ten minutes away. I had to join the gym near work to keep from getting any bigger." It was a great place.

"I would kill for a spicy pepperoni pizza right now."

"Yeah, the food here is garbage. They wouldn't even feed this to prisoners back in Italy."
"You're Italian?" I act surprised.
"I take it you're American."

"I was actually engaged to an Italian once." I tell him,
"Oh really? So you like Italians? What happened?" You should know.

"He cheated on me." I look down feigning hurt.

"Oh, I apologise on behalf of my fellow countrymen." I laugh. You should apologise to me for a lot more.

"I just seem to make one bad decision after the other." I really do.

"We all do. How do you think I ended up here? You just have to learn from those mistakes."

"Well, there's not anything else to do. Tell you what, if we ever get out of here, we'll be the wisest people ever." He laughs along with me and I realise what a nice laugh he has. I don't think I had ever heard him laugh like that.

"Maybe I'll take you to try authentic Italian pizza."
I smile at him.

"I do like Italian food."
"Then it's settled."

"If we ever get out of here." I remind him
"Do I even still have a job?" I realise. The Albanians were my last targets, I honestly have no idea what's next for me.

Susanna. A voice whispers.

I cannot rest until I have dealt with all of the Morellis.

And finding a suitable replacement.

"I'll take care of you." He tells me.

I almost laugh.