Chapter 53

"Pass the green beans, please." Andy asks Emery.
Dinner has been quiet as everyone is still processing the betrayal they are now privy to.
It only took about an hour for Demi to find incriminating evidence once I pointed her in the right direction.

Hades made a very public showing of the punishment for rats after the confession. Everyone is stunned.
This is all new to them and they are severely rattled.
Some of them can't even look at Hades.

I do not blame them. It was gruesome, even for me.

"I still cannot believe it." Rosa sighs looking over at where Andy, Hades and I are sitting.

"I need to apologise to you all. I put you in danger by putting my trust in the wrong person." Andy finally addresses them.

Wait, did she just apologise? That's new.

"It happens to the best of us." Mr. Leos replies without looking up from his plate.

"None of us blame you, we are just taken back." Jordan assures her.

"We were all deceived." Adam reiterates.

The tension at the table is palpable and making it hard for me to enjoy the sea bass Adam made.
Yaya in particular is still shaking.

"Elephants can listen with their feet." Demi suddenly says.

What?

"They have incredibly sensitive feet that enable seismic communication." She continues.

"I think I heard about that. A lab in Sendai is attempting to replicate and amplify that feature to detect tectonic movement under the ocean." Savant continues.

"I was thinking it would be cool spy equipment. Like Morse code." She smiles back at him brightly.

Savat's eyes twinkle in admiration as he looks at her. And if I know him, he is also contemplating the idea.

"Morse code is too common, someone should create a new communinication code." Seph says unwittingly challenging Savat,

"It's called encryption." Demi teases.

"I don't know. There is something to be said for old school communication. Over dependence on technology is a liability in the field." Savant repeats Ita's teachings.

Things are going easy until a few minutes later.
"How did you know?" Girl, who has been quiet, turns to ask me.

Silence descends as everyone is waiting to hear how I uncovered the mole.

"Demi tracks all communications here so whoever it is has to leave the island frequently. The person was also in contact with Susanna and it made the most sense for it to be someone who came to Italy when you captured her. They were also intimately aware of the layout of the entire island. But the main clue was one of the attackers from that night. The short blonde one. I remembered her. She was the maid who welcomed me to the Morelli mansion on that visit. Only one person is responsible for hiring new staff, landscaping of the island and procurement from the mainland." I explain.

"I still cannot believe it." Michael shakes his head.

"It is done. There is no point crying over spilt milk." Mrs. Leos says. I know this affects her more than the others. Afterall, Delphine was her niece.

"Another obsessive psycho." Michael's comment causes everyone to pause.

It isn't until Seph smiles that we all continue with our meal.

Apparently, Hades killed Delphine's boyfriend nine years ago. Two years before she started working here. She only found out it was him a year ago and has been plotting to kill him ever since.