SS Story 4: Truce of the Century

It was a fresh morning that started anew as the neighborhood gathering began. Normally, gatherings such as this were held to discuss the issues in the town, festivals that needed to be celebrated, and other miscellaneous things.

But for a small town with big houses, these gatherings are usually held just to chatter amongst neighbors and interact with them occasionally.

Kana was merrily talking with her friends, she was surrounded by men and women alike. Whether the Ojou-sama liked it or not, she was quite popular with the people. She was constantly invited to small gatherings like this, even when adults are the only ones required to come.

Sighing internally, Kana was tired of being the center of attention. Though she enjoyed being looked up to and adored, having too many eyes on you for long periods of time can be exhausting-- especially when you need to put up an act of being an exquisite young lady.

"Kana-sama, you should try these~!"

"Ojou-sama, would you like some more refreshments?"

"Kana-sama--!"

"Ojou-sama--!"

'. . . ugh.'

As Kana was silently suffering from success, Rei was silent enjoying Kana's agonizing situation, albeit secretly.

That conceited woman had finally sought the consequences of her popularity. The swordswoman thought.

Rei knew of Kana's real face, she was prideful yet kind. It was somewhat a contradiction but it oddly fits her well, not that she was normal, to begin with. Rei would normally be teased by Kana, even if Rei fought back with her words, Kana would always find a loophole in it.

It was frustrating.

Rei knew she wasn't good at talking, but it's still frustrating!

So when events like this happen, Rei would always take the opportunity to go with Kana and watch her suffer. But it was a double edged sword, since she was always seen with her, Rei would also be teased on how 'attached' she is with Kana.

Just like now.

"Rei-chan you're here again~!" An older woman spoke in a cutesy teasing manner.

"Maa~ Youth is amazing isn't it?" Another said with a giggle.

"Now now, be gentle with the girl. You'll scare Rei-chan away!" Another one remarked as the elder women of the neighborhood surrounded  Rei.

'Hm. Maybe it's time to stop coming here.'

And so the pair spent their morning with regret.

*     *     *     *     *

By the time both of them got home, it was already in the afternoon. Rei and Kana stood shoulder to shoulder with exhausted faces, Kana was personally looking irritated at the happenings.

Her father had left her and Rei to go home on their own, he was laughing merrily while drinking with his buddies. Seeing that happy face just made Kana feel offended.

While your daughter was entertaining everyone else, you were off drinking with your friends? Such baseless thoughts ran through her mind.

Dragging Kana to her room, Rei opened the door with a bang. She laid the other on the bed and made her way to the sofa with a sigh.

"We're never doing that again."

"Bullshi--." Rei cut herself off.

They were for sure going to be forced to attend that again.

"Haa~. . . "

" It's good to be home. . . "

" Yeah. . . "

There was a tired silence in the room as the pair enjoyed their relaxed state. There was a sense of regret and defeat emanating from both of them.

Stretching her body a bit, Kana rested her head on a pillow. She said,

"Let's stop these games of ours."

Rei raised an eyebrow at those words but agreed nonetheless.

"They were mostly yours, but sure. We're turning 16 next year, it's about time we stop."

Hearing Rei's response, Kana let out a soft chuckle. About time, yes?

"Speaking of which, our wedding will be held next year." Kana glanced at her startled fiance who was  sitting across her, "It's probably the right time you drop the honorifics darling."

'I should have known.'

Rei knew this was coming. Back when she and Kana were first engaged, Kana's father-- well, her father-in-law had told her to drop the honorific. She tried, even to the point secretly practicing by herself but. .

"It's embarrassing."

"Oh--!?"

Kana was surprised at Rei's straightforward answer. Normally she would argue back with her, but she didn't. She just sat there with a red face.

An awkward silence soon ensued, Kana wasn't used to seeing Rei with a genuine blush which made HER feel embarrassed.

Now she was turning red.

"S, sa-- say something damn it!"

"W- why should I!? Shouldn't you be teasing me right about now!?"

"E- eh. . Ahh-- //////// "

The normally composed Kana was now driven to a flustered mess, unable to put out any comprehensible words. Both of their faces were dyed red, too embarrassed to look at one another.

"You. . . you went ahead and said 'drop the honorifics darling' and now you can't even look at me in the eye," Rei spoke, wanting to defuse the situation.

"Then why won't you!?" But Kana's face was still adorably boiling hot.

"I told you I was e- embarrassed!" Rei shot back.

"Since we're both embarrassed anyway, then just say it now!"

That was a wrong move.

Rei was in no spot to think clearly and wanted to argue back, so without any prior thought, Rei stood up and slowly walked closer to Kana and held her hand and said,

"THEN-- Will you marry me Kana-chan!!?"

"-----!!??"

"Ah--"

Realizing what they had just heard and said, the pair silently stared at each other for a few moments, and preemptively collapsed, screaming in their minds.

_______________________________

*Chichiue-dono is a formal way to say otou-san.

/////// -  means blushing

____________

Yo~~ Author-san dayo~!

I thought I was going to have a heart attack writing this as I kept imagining how or what would I do if I said something as embarrassing as this.

Welp, enjoy.