38

Sitting in a dark-lit room, a man sat center in a large rectangular table. His wolf-like ears constantly perked up, making sure no one would be able to sneak upon him.

"So, what time is the main operation happening?"

"Tomorrow, at the peak of dawn," the man replied with a serious yet lax tone.

The person who sat across him crossed their arms and exhaled a mocking sigh.

"That imbecile is seriously going forth with his assassination attempt? In this day and age? What a moron." Silvia said, voice dripping with ridicule. "Don't you think so, Kazuma-san?"

Hearing his long-time employer, the man known as Kazuma said "It matters not, he is a dead man walking," his voice was laced with wisdom, but words as dangerous as knives.

"Brutal, but that is not what I want this time around," Silvia said as she waved her hand in disagreement. "Death is mercy in this case, I want him to learn his lesson and suffer from it, besides–"

"I'm already taking my frustration out by proxy."

Nodding his head, Kazuma silently agreed.

"Worried be not Silvia-dono," he began "as there is someone quite special taking care of matters currently in action."

Silvia could clearly see that Kazuma had some other meaning behind his words but it didn't matter– as long as they took care of it.

However, unbeknownst to Silvia that that special someone just so happened to be someone she knew.  . very well.

.

.

.

Standing on guard with her sword, Rei Yuuno calmly rushed into action.

In the dark veil of the night, her black hair and eyes perfectly blended into the surroundings. She alone stood fighting with over ten armed men from the very clan she had come from.

"You bastard– where did you come from!?"

The fifth man's scream fell into deaf ears as he collapsed on the ground, seemingly saying those as his last words.

Everyone was on edge, this mysterious person had suddenly appeared minutes ago and had already taken down five men in a split second.

Not only that, it seemed like she was able to read their every move!

From ever slash, stab, or their well-learned techniques felt like child's play to her. It was simply terrifying! This was supposed to be a one-time easy job, why was this happening!?

Brandishing her sword, Rei swiftly got rid of the splotches of blood dripping from her katana. Those men she cut down weren't seriously injured, but who dared swing a sword with their armpits cut open?

". . . The Kouro clan doesn't accept jobs like this." Rei said plainly with eyes of disdain "You are an insult, even to that obnoxiously arrogant clan."

Her cold voice sent shivers down their spine, making them unconsciously scream out from fear.

"Pl- please! Have mercy!"

"WE'RE SORRY! WE'RE SORRY! I'M SORRY!"

"WE- We won't do this again!! I promise!"

Even with five-against-one, they didn't dare to engage in further combat. They were at a disadvantage by skill and experience. These guys we're idiotic and greedy for money, but they weren't stupid enough to risk their lives cause of some high pay job.

"No dignity and honor– as expected," Rei said disappointed.

The men lowered their heads in shame, yet still held their swords.

Seeing as there was no proper hint of surrender, Rei decided.

". . . Your actions conflict with your words," Rei once again raised her sword and prepared to attack. "It's not an issue for me,"

"But the moment you accepted this job to hurt my child– you are better off dead."

And with that, five more screams resounded that very night.

___________

How was the small 'action' scene?