20

~Senri's POV~

"Are you sure you're fine carrying all this Silvia? It's quite heavy."

"No, It's fine. I'm used to carrying stuff like this."

"Is that so? That's good I guess, we're delivering these quite far away." I said as I fix the bag that carried a bunch of medicine behind me.

Early in the morning, while I was preparing for my trip, Silvia offered to help me with my rounds for today, which was much appreciated. Chizu, my wife, wasn't really the type to this kind of work, so I opted on continuing on my own. Not to mention, being an apothecary was my job, I couldn't burden her with strenuous work she won't even be able to comprehend.   

Kayo wasn't an option either since she had to watch Chizu.

There wasn't any other option but for me alone, so I had to do my work myself. Long story short, I carried on my work like any other day. But this time, with extra help.

Having Silvia here today really made my job much easier, especially since there were a lot of orders that needed to be delivered, without her, I would take half of the orders and schedule them to be delivered for another.

The walk was a quiet one, silently trekking up unpaved roads to hand over goods to the elderly who couldn't move as much. Occasionally, we would ask each other questions to pass the time, but in the end it would always go back to silence.

"I still can't get over the fact how much we look alike," Silvia started.

"Is getting an eye injury a trend these days? Because I genuinely advise against it," I added with a laugh.

"I got off lucky, all I got was a scar!"

"Miss I-got-a-cool-scar, I don't think you would be the best spokesperson for people like us."

"Touché," we laughed at our own stupid jokes.

Advancing on our journey, I could hear Silvia readjusting the container she had on her back, the loud shuffling of clothes attracted my attention, bringing me to turn to her. Noticing my gaze, Silvia stared back at me semi-seriously with a questioning look.

"Say, it is rare for a person to have silver or gray hair?"

"Hm?"

"Well, I haven't really been seeing many people with hair like ours and I don't think I'm going to see my biological parents any time soon. Not to mention," She pointed at her somewhat strangely shaped ears, "I don't think I am of the usual feline or canine race either." 

Taking a close look at Silvia's second set of ears, I realized that it didn't look like ones I often see. Feline and canine individuals usually had a strong semblance to their parents who held the most dominant genes, however, Silvia's resembled that of . . a mix? No, that wouldn't be right.

Moving closer to Silvia, I raised my hand in an attempt to take a closer examination, "May I?"

"Sure." She nodded casually.

Brushing off some of her hair to the side, I flopped Silvia's ears close and open in an attempt to find evidence for my speculations. Going down, I open her mouth to get a glance at Silvia's teeth, earning a muffled, "HEY!" of complaint.

"Silvia, has your adopted parents said who your biological parents were?"

"No," She slapped my hand away from her face, annoyed, "Kana-kaasan said they found me in an orphanage and adopted me. No one knew who were parents were, apparently."

I nodded, "I see." Then, there's a possibility. 

Seemingly perceiving my rationalization, Silvia's lips grew to a childish smirk, bringing her hands to her hips and exclaimed,

"What, am I a hybrid or something?" She said, a bit stupidly, and with pride too.

"No, of course not," I shook my head and chuckled. 

"Then what am I, Miss Apothecary? A legendary mythical beast? A werewolf of some kind?" Silvia added with a cocky teasing tone.

"No, nowhere near close," I crossed my arms, "But you are a fox." 

.

.

"I'm sorry?"

*****

~Silvia's POV~

"No, nowhere near close," Senri crossed her arms, "But you are a fox."

"I'm sorry?"

"You know, a vulpes-vulpes. People usually mistake descendants of foxes for felines however, foxes are actually from the canine family. So I understand why you would think you were a hybrid of some kind, because foxes are inherently confusing animals. Even down to the noises they make--

"--Okay stop right there, bud."

I stretched my arms out and gestured Ms. Apothecary to stop with her lecture. 

"Are you saying . . ."

"But, I don't really have proof that your parents were fox-kins, so it's all speculation from me." She patted my shoulder in a comforting manner, "Do- don't go into an existential crisis now! Because I only make medicine, I'm no biology doctor!" She explained with a fluster.

". . ."

". . . Silvia?"

". . ."

"Silvia!"

". . ."

"Si- Silvia answer me! Silvia? SILVIA-- Wait, SILVIA!!"

However, all of Senri's ramblings quickly became a noise in the background. None of what she said entered my head entered my head, and the continuous call outs to me flew over my head as a stared off into the distance.

There was only one thing that was running in my mind right now, and that was,

"OH JESUS, I'M SO STUPID!"

PLEASE, I JUST WANT TO DIG A HOLE AND DIE.

AAAHHHH——!!!

<Revised>

(A/N 2023: . . . Mystery solved?)