2

As we ran through a mini forest, playing catch. Sae-chan and I were both laughing as we fell into a grassy patch.

"Ehehe! That was fun!"

"Yeaaa!" I replied with a toothy grin, showing off a bit of my dog-kin features.

It had already been over two hours since we started playing, and started playing games. The mini forest we currently are in is at the topmost of the mountain where our house was built on. Of course, we don't own the mountain itself as we reside in a richer residential area. Practically neighborhood of rich people.

The forest itself was tiny but had many thick trees and sort of uneven ground that we could easily hide and play games on. Therefore, we were safe from dangerous wild animals and getting lost.

Sae-chan, a Cat-kin with somewhat of an orange foxy-like appearance was quick on her feet and wasn't easy to capture. Thankfully, my running around the mansion and Rei-kaasan's sword training helped me grow my stamina and helped in catching her.

As we lay around the grassy patch, I decided it was getting late, and Sae-chan and her parents might need to go home soon. After all, business deals don't take that long don't they? And they're probably looking for us already.

Standing up, I dusted myself off and offered a hand to Sae-chan.

"Ne~ Sae-chan, let's go back!"

"Eh!? But I don't want to!"

Oi, don't suddenly go stubborn on me now. Kana-kaasan will kill me!

"I don't wanna! I don't wanna! I don't wanna!" Just like a child that she was, she started a tantrum and was flailing her arms around. I should have expected something like this, but I really can't deal with tantrums.

While I was distracted by the noise Sae-chan was making, she suddenly stood up and ran in the opposite direction from home and deeper into the darker part of the forest.

Shit! This isn't good! Small or not, a forest is a forest!

"Wait Sae-chan! Where are you going!?"

Ahhh!! What am I going to do!? This is getting out of hand!!

I immediately chased after Sae-chan.

*****

Shit! Shit! Shit!

I can't believe I lost sight of her!

If something bad happe-- no.

No flags!

Running around the dark area of the forest, my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest due to anxiety. Though part of me is terrified of being scolded by Kana-kaasan, I am even more so worried about Sae getting hurt.

She's a child, I'm a child.

Lots of things could go wrong!

Thinking that I ran even faster and looked around and under trees trying to locate her. I was finally able to catch a glimpse of her clothing a few meters away from me.

There you are!

"Sae-chan! I get it, lets go play some more but please stop running!"

I shouted, trying to convince her from a distance. As I was racing after the running kid I am barely able to see, I was suddenly slapped in the face with a giant leaf I wasn't paying attention to, making me lose sight of her.

Oh shit. 

"Sae-chan! Where are you!?"

"Sae-chan!!"

"Come on, let's go home!"

No answer . . .

I was slowly starting to panic, when I heard a tiny shriek coming from the very edge of the forest. I immediately ran towards the voice, not minding the branches and leaves that got on my way and scratching my skin,

and there I found Sae-chan almost falling off a cliff. 

Did I ever mention our neighborhood was on a fucking mountain!? Yes? Then you know again!

She was barely holding onto a dead tree branch and looked like she was slipping, the dirt under her was falling off to the side, of what I could only imagine is a deep fall. The mud around her indicated when she was running, she had accidentally slipped on the slippery mud but saved herself by grabbing on the tree.

"Sae-chan!" 

Without thinking, I ran towards Sae. I quickly went to the edge of the ledge, as close to the tree I could get while making sure to have a steady footing.

 At this point, I felt like I was getting a panic attack. I was horrified.

It just had to be a cliff!

Grabbing unto the dead tree's trunk, I held out my hand to the crying Sae, trying to comfort her with a smile.

It wasn't as effective as I hoped it would be, but it is at least doing something.

"Silvia. . chan"

Slowly reaching out for my hand, the branch she was holding on to was slowly giving out. I was getting tense. In any second Sae could fall off and die if she doesn't reach me in time.

It was a short yet tense exchange. Subconsciously finding the balance between her grip on the muddy ground to the rough branch Sae was holding to.

If she moved the wrong way, death would be the last of our problems.

"Just a bit more, don't be scared. I'm here."

". . Hmm!" She nodded, teary eyed.

The moment she grabbed my hand, both of our faces lit up, and I pulled her in.

We collapsed on the muddy ground, holder her tightly with a relieved smile. However, before we could fully relax,  the branch that Sae-chan was holding onto, suddenly whipped back

I was able to push away Sae to safety,

but the same couldn't be said for my left eye.

"Aaahhkkkgg!! Ahh!"

"Sil-chan!!"

"Aghk! I- it hurts!! My eye!! Gh!"

All I could see was red.

There was so much blood flowing out, I couldn't open either of my eyes properly. My eye. It wasn't hurt, I could tell for a fact. A gash, a flesh wound, but holy hell did it hurt.

Oh shit, I can't see. I can't see. I can't see. I can't see. I can't see. I can't see-- I was full on panicking.

This is a nightmare

"Sa- Sae. . . Call for help," I muttered weakly, I was out of breath from the pain and the panic.

"But, Sil-chan! I can't leave you he--!"

"--Don't give me that, GO!" 

I felt faint.

During that time, I didn't know what was dripping on me anymore.

It was either my blood or Sae's tears as she ran to call for help.

<Revised>