21

~Silvia's POV~

"What are you doing around this part of town Haku? You usually stay in the market area." Senri asked a black-haired woman.

"Well, I had some errands to run, I needed to come here but then I saw you guys, so I might as well go with you." The woman responded positively.

"I see," Senri nodded, "we were just about to deliver this to the shop. It's just troublesome getting up this hill with all this luggage." She pointed to the visage of a small shop in the distance.

"Hmm. . you are carrying quite a lot."

"Yeah, thankfully we--" Senri and Haku continued to chat cheerfully as we walked.

The black-haired woman Senri was talking to is known as Amemiya Haku, is one of the side characters in this manga, a terribly sly individual many wouldn't wish to get involved with. However, in contrast to her shrewd personality, she is the lovable Senri's childhood friend.

If I hadn't known her from the manga, I would have suspected her to be Senri's caretaker, judging by how mush older she looked. Haku, despite her beauty, is downright a scammer, not because she's a fortune teller, but because she sells worthless stuff overpriced.

Also not to mention, she somehow crawled up into the back of my baggage!?

How she got up there without me noticing, I have no idea. But one thing is for sure, after meeting her, I already don't like her.

She's giving me that-woman (Haruki) flashbacks.

"Hey, would you mind coming down from there lady?" I asked somewhat politely

"But it's quite comfortable here." She replied casually with a whine

Oh wow, she's annoying~

"I, I think you should get down now, Haku," with a wryly smile written on her face, Senri urged Haku to get off me. 

"Very well then," with that, Haku jumped off with minimal effort.

Really annoying. I thought as I watched her jumped down more gracefully than I'd like. Lets just get this over with. Shaking off the irritation, I quickly adjusted the basket I carried behind me, and continued walking.

The place where we're going to deliver this was up a small mountain. Everyone that lived there were either senior citizens or kids living with their grandparents. It was a very peaceful place to live in. Even I'd be tempted to move in places like these when I get older, or maybe I should build one for Rei-kaasan and Kana-kaasan.

However, it is an exhausting way up, It wouldn't be the most optimal for the elderly or the travelers. Thankfully though, the mountain was a grassland with barely any tall trees, so it wasn't a harsh environment to tread in. Easing our travel.

Though I say that,

"Silvia-san, have you ever tried fortune-telling before?"

"If you buy this necklace, you'll achieve infinite happiness~!"

"I have a few charms that may be useful to you~"

This Haku is so damn annoying!

"Tsk." Silently clicking my tongue, I turned my head forward trying to block out the noise coming from the person beside me. Looking up, I saw Senri's back as she treaded up.

From here, her back seemed so wide, blocking out the sun from my sight. I could notice beads of sweat occasionally drip the side of her face, showing how hard she's working. Observing Senri's dedication to her work made me feel a bit barren. 

Senri, who was close to age with me, worked harder than any body else. She had a dream and strived to reach it and achieve her happiness. Looking at her efforts made me envious. To be so driven to reach a goal. . . it wasn't something I have experienced.

Even during my previous life, all I did was live through another day and deciding to spend my remaining lifespan mundanely reading manga. And here I am, in my second life, simply following the footsteps my parents already paved.

Its embarrassing.

Embarrassing to covet hard work when I'm someone fortunate enough to not even need to move a finger. 

Regardless of the situation, Senri never ceases to always smile.

Is working hard that fun?  Those words ran through my mind. Or is it just fulfillment I want?

From my side, I sensed a movement.  As if noticing my thoughts, Haku spoke up while looking warmly at Senri.

"She's quite the person isn't she?" She started.

Shaking my head a little, I focused my sight on Senri and revealed a small smile.

"Yes, she always seems so . ."

"Happy?"

I nodded.

"For someone so young, she has been through a lot. After the incident, she had always been trying to catch up to her father, but even so, Senri-san never forgets to be thankful for what she has now." Haku said in an admiring voice "That, and most especially the young mistress."

Meeting my eye, Haku continued

"Looking at you Silvia-san, you are quite the fortunate person."

I wasn't surprised by her words, but feeling as if I'm being compared stung me a little, even if she doesn't mean it.

"You live a comfortable life, given with all the riches the moment you were born. Good quality clothes, good food, and a large house. Though all of these seem endless to you at the moment, you should always remember that everything has an end, and that life isn't as kind as everyone thinks it is" She said seriously.

Yes, I know.

I've seen those harsh realities, I've known about them for the longest of time. Because there were moments I felt those emotions.

"Hmpff--" I snickered, "If you didn't act like crook, I would have hired you to be my friend."

"Hired?"

"Cause like hell I'm wholeheartedly going to trust someone like you."

Her brows turned confused for a second then immediately burst out into a calm laughter.

As I was thinking how Haku isn't really all that bad,

"The does that mean you would like to buy some of my charms?"

You just had to be a fortune teller!

<Revised>