Short Side Story : The Day They Met

It was one particularly windy day when this peculiar person arrived. 

The beautiful sakura petals of the sakura trees fell increasingly fast as each breeze blew stronger and stronger as the day passed. One could tell just from the cold gust of wind that a typhoon was coming, though the sun still shone brightly.

But despite the bleak future the wind foretold, a woman stood her ground, undisturbed by the freezing gale. The woman was rugged, her cheeks filled with bruises, her black hair draped down her face covering her cold, empty eyes. Just by a glance, you could tell she was an individual you shouldn't trifle with in spite of her dirty drapes.

Curiously, in contrast to woman, standing by her side was an elegantly dressed man, holding her with care but also concern. One could assume that it was some sort of nobleman helping a beggar. But for Kana, who was faced with the bright smile of her father, it wasn't the case.

Kana was more on, perplexed at the sight of this person standing in front of her.

Was it pity?

Concern?

Or disgust? No definitely not that.

Kana was raised as a kind person with loving soul, just like her parents.  So regardless of what the person looked like, kana couldn't find the heart to judge a person based solely on their appearance.

That mindset was proven to be quite correct time and time again, including this situation, however that would be a conclusion she would come to later on.

"Kana this is Rei Kouro, she'll be staying with us from now on," her father smiled kindly.

Kana was rather confused why her father picked up this person-- or whether if she was actually picked up. Unfortunately, her kind father had a tendency to suddenly bring home anything and everything that needed help. At most, he had been bringing home large animals, Kana and her mother suspected sooner or later, the man was going to bring home a human being.

Kana sighed inside her heart, tired of her father's habit.

But why stay here? Though father may be weird, he is quite the private person, he isn't the type to bring a person home unless there was a reason. She thought confused

But regardless, no amount of thinking could rewind the past, so she could only smile and accept the situation.

"It's nice to meet you Rei-san." Kana lightly bowed and greeted.

"Hn. Hai. . Please take care of me from now on." Rei lowered her head smoothly contrasting her awkward and stiff tone.

"Hahah! Alright, now that that's solved," Kana's father joyfully hit Rei's shoulder, "Rei, you should settle down for the day. Kana, why don't you show her the rooms?" Her father laughed as he left to take care of something else. You could say he was sort of an airhead going by his brazen attitude.

Left alone, the two glanced at one another in bewilderment. Kana smiled wryly at her father's enthusiasm. She was used to his careless personality.

"Well," Kana began, turning around with a sway of her long hair, her her muted purple eyes shone with the sun that conveyed a hint of shrewdness.  Her elegance and gentle smile covered up what was in reality a sly and calculating pressure that one normally wouldn't be able to capture. "Let's go, Rei-san," she smiled as she offered Rei her hand. 

Rei's dull eyes suddenly shone. The glint she often displayed softened at the sign of the beautiful woman in front of her. In her heart, she admitted she was captivated by her beauty, however, the thing that charmed her the most, was the frigidly sharp eyes of Kana.

A small smile crept into Rei's face, this time a genuine smile showed. This woman is bad news, Rei whispered to herself.

Suddenly a strong breeze flew and passed through the pair, sweeping Rei's dark hair aside, showing her sharp yet dazzling appearance that wasn't held back by her crude clothing. The determination and interest in her eyes shown, down to her smile. Her dark hair and clothes flowed with the wind as she accepted the offered hand.

Thump

Kana's eyes widened, staring into a daze.

A small hint of red appeared on their cheeks as Rei slowly said,

"It'll be my pleasure, Kana-sama."

<Revised>