4

~Saeko's POV~

*Fukun~ Fusha~*

*Fukun~ Fusha~*

*Fukun~ Fusha~*

The lovely rhythm of a broom brushing the courtyard resounded in the house as the start of spring entered the season. It was a lovely day as usual, grandmother and grandfather had been quite busy lately so I took upon myself to sweep the fallen leaves on the ground.

*Fukun~ Fusha~*

*Fukun~ Fusha~*

Living with my grandparents, there was not much to do other than some common household chores. Grandma, herself, enjoys cleaning around the house so there was not much for me to do other than focus on my studies and occasionally help around.

What a lovely day it is.

Taking a brief pause, I felt a warm gentle breeze blow over. I slowly closed my eyes to enjoy the wind, feeling my long orange hair move with the flow of the spring.

Resting the broom on my chest, as I continued on my calm relaxing morning, I heard a set of footsteps approaching me from the corner of the gate.  

"Oya, Saeko-chan your sweeping I see?"

Opening my eyes, I saw a brown cat-kin lady wearing a classic kimono as she held her groceries. It was Midoe-san from a block away, she's been my grandparent's neighbor who always took care of me whenever I came to visit them when I was younger.

Ever since then, we've gotten along so well.

"Ah! Midoe-san! Good morning!" I waved and greeted her, she smiled at me warmly.

"Good morning, good morning~!" She greeted back. But before I could even respond, Midoe-san swiftly approached me, acting covertly as if she was hiding some important goods on her person.

Closing in, I watched her look around the neighborhood, and gossiped. 

"I heard an important person was coming over town today, that's why almost everyone is busy."

"Eh? That's news to me." I responded in surprise. 

Midoe-san sure likes talking about community rumors. I smiled wryly. But how important did they have to be for everyone to be this busy? I've rarely seen the entire district this upbeat about a visitor, this usually only happens when there's a festival or some celebrity comes around.

"Ma~ ma~ I heard a rumor from a friend of mine, they're apparently here to get their young mistress to meet her bride."

"Young . . mistress?" I said dumbfoundedly, It's not rare for people of the same sex to get married to each other, but hearing it is still a bit unusual for me. Furthermore, meet? Is this some kind of arranged marriage? I sort of feel bad for the people who have to marry without getting to know their partner.

"Yeah! They said, she was a bit reluctant to leave her house, but was immediately convinced by her parents." Mideo-san said, covering her mouth and said in a whisper that is still very audible for many to hear.

The young mistress seems to have been the one forced herself. Also, how was Midoe-san able to get that detail information?

"Is that so . ." I responded somewhat awkwardly. Midoe-san is a good person, but everyone has their quirks that are difficult to deal with.

However, hearing about this made me remember a memory from the past.

It was a bit blurry and I couldn't remember who exactly it was, but there was someone who saved me a long time ago. I could remember that we got along really well and they would often play with me in some kind of forest. It felt like some kind of fever dream.

But then, something happened, some incident. There was a lot of blood, but it wasn't mine. I was scared, but they smiled all the way through it and saved me from. . . something.

My memories from back then were a jumbled mess.

Still, I have this inexplicable feeling of fond memories, I knew them, but I can't-- I can't remember who they were. 

Doctors said that the memory was erased due to extreme trauma and was forcibly removed by my brain as a form of coping. They explained that it may due the two consecutive traumatic shocks I felt during childhood, and my memories are likely to recover in the right conditions. 

I don't fully understand how it worked, but I feel that if I somehow managed to meet that person, I would be able to recover parts of my memories. . Or so I'm hoping.

While I was busy drowning in my own thoughts, I didn't realize Mideo-san had left so I could only subconsciously reply to Midoe-san's "See you later~!" with a nod.

For a neighbor, she does know a lot.

*****

The hours quickly pass and Grandma had asked me to prepare the tables for lunch. But there seems to be more food than usual. A person worth more, furthermore, It is also a bit more grand than usual. Do we have a visitor coming over, I wonder?

Placing down the last place, I heard the slide of the front door and the warm voice of, "We're home!" Grandmother and grandfather had come home from their walk. However, before I could respond, I heard another set of footsteps come over the door, as well as the gentle invitation of my grandparents.

"Ah, please come in Yuuno-san." (Grandfather)

"Welcome to our humble abode." (Grandmother)

"Ah, hai. I'm coming in." (???)

There was another voice with them, it was a bit deep for a woman's voice, but you could tell it was from a girl.

That voice. . it's so familiar.

Where have I heard that before . . ? I could feel the back of my head numb, a sensation I often experience when I remember parts of my foggy memories.

Letting go of the plate that was resting on my hand, I opened the shoji (sliding door) to where grandmother and grandfather were and was instantly met with a tall woman wearing a white and black yukata.

"You are . . ."

<Revised>